Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/TCH863964
This is a permanent, full-time position commencing Term 1, 2024
Carnarvon Community College (CC) is seeking a Science Teacher to join their high quality regional school.
Working for the Department of Education attracts a range of attractive professional and personal benefits including:
- Attractive Country Teaching Program Allowance of $10,210 per year
- Locality allowance of $1,723 a year
- Attraction and Retention Incentive of $10,000 see info below
- 11 percent employer contributions to superannuation
- 12 weeks’ vacation leave (school holidays)
- More than 20 days of other leave, including sick leave and carers’ leave
- Subsidised accommodation where applicable
- Free relocation
- Travel Concession
- Air-conditioning subsidy
You may be eligible for HELP/HECS assistance if you are working in a very remote location – click here for details
Teachers and school administrators employed at Carnarvon Community College in 2024 are eligible to receive an Attraction and Retention Incentive of $10,000 (pa, gross – to be adjusted pro rata for FTE and tenure). Eligible staff will receive a percentage of this payment on commencement at the school, with the remainder paid at the end of the school year. Staff must remain employed in the location until the end of the school year to be eligible to receive the second payment.
The ARI payment is in addition to other incentives that may apply in this school.
About the role
The successful applicant will be responsible for developing a safe, rewarding and supportive learning environment for all students. Working in collaboration with other staff, the successful applicant will ideally have a strong understanding of the Western Australian Curriculum – including knowledge of how to plan, deliver and assess engaging and relevant units of work relating to Science.
The successful applicant should have the knowledge and skills necessary to apply a range of engaging teaching strategies and develop a positive classroom learning environment. The successful applicant will ideally have an excellent working knowledge of the Western Australian Curriculum and be able to teach students of varying ability levels across Year 7 to 12 in a highly engaging manner.
You should be able to provide engaging, relevant, and meaningful learning experiences. The learning environment you create should be differentiated, challenging, caring and creative, while catering for a range of needs that sees all students progressing and achieving. You should be able to utilise evidence-based teaching practices whilst employing a range of assessment and reporting methods.
Carnarvon CC an Independent Public School which caters for students from K-12 and proudly serves the Carnarvon community. We have an extensive campus complete with state of the art facilities, ushering in a new era of education committed to produce the best possible outcomes for our students.
Our motto ‘Growing Excellence Together’ highlights some of the foundational aspects of our College. Firstly, our commitment to continuous improvement and growth. Secondly our pursuit of excellence and the high expectations we have for our students. Finally, the importance of us all working together to ensure every student is a successful global citizen.
The location and community
Carnarvon is a coastal town located on Yinggarda country which is perfectly positioned between Shark Bay to the south and the Ningaloo World Heritage areas to the north. It’s a gateway to adventure, you will discover this fascinating town’s historic, cultural and foodie highlights. About 5,000 people currently call Carnarvon home, and the population is a rich mix of heritages and cultures. It is a hub of natural rugged beauty, whilst also being a great place to rest, relax and recharge.
For more information about Carnarvon visit www.carnarvon.org.au
For additional information to all allowances and housing please contact Housing and Transport at email@example.com or on (08) 9264 5154.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate your competency against the following domains (that govern the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers):
- Professional knowledge;
- Professional practice; and
- Professional engagement.
Applications will be assessed against these domains. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
Applicants currently completing the Department of Education Leap program (formerly known as the Switch program) can apply for vacancies using their current or Leap qualification – even if they have not completed the program at the time of applying. Applicants may be appointed to a vacancy based on the qualification being completed via the Leap program.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Carnarvon Community College can be found by visiting carnarvoncc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
Appointed applicants may be eligible for Recognition for Teachers - Prior Service and Qualifications
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Natasha Yew, Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in East Carnarvon, by telephoning (08) 9941 6000 or emailing Natasha.Yew@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement of up to three (3) pages addressing the domains that govern the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
- Consent to a Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check and obtain a current Screening Clearance Number issued by the Department of Education’s Screening Unit prior to commencement of employment.
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- Meet the Department of Education Teacher Qualifications and Registration requirements.
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement.
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment and every three years thereafter.
- Complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement.
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy.
Applications must be submitted before 4:30pm (WST) on Friday, 1 December 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.