Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS861052
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2024
Lesmurdie Senior High School (SHS) is seeking to appoint a Student Support Officer to join their friendly team.
The Student Support Officer will ideally possess strong communication and interpersonal skills, be required to facilitate identified programs and maintain comprehensive records. A collaborative and consultative approach is highly desirable. Prior experience supporting students through mentoring, mediation, counselling, school engagement, assessing levels of risk, interagency knowledge and links and case management will be considered favourably. A capacity in supporting students with mental health needs, along with up-to-date Gatekeeper currency and Youth Mental Health First Aid training would be beneficial as would experience in facilitating Rock and Water, Drumbeat and/or other specialised programs. Specific examples illustrating experience working with individuals and groups are welcomed. Other relevant qualifications would be viewed favourably such as a Diploma or Advanced Diploma in Youth Work.
The successful applicant should cultivate a safe and accountable environment, underpinning Lesmurdie SHS core values, Curiosity, Aspiration, Respect and Environment. You should work collaboratively with all members of the school and wider community, but specifically the Lower School and Senior School Teams, to provide quality experiences through promoting the school’s vision and strategic directions.
Lesmurdie SHS has an established reputation where all students are motivated to achieve excellence in their academic, sporting and cultural endeavours. Our students are friendly, confident and successful and our teaching and support staff provide a distinctive, comprehensive education with strong academic and vocational pathways assisted by effective pastoral care programs, contributing to the development of ‘the whole child’.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- good oral, written and interpersonal communication skills, with the ability to establish and maintain effective and collaborative working relationships.
- effective planning and organisational skills with the ability to manage competing priorities within timelines.
- good research, conceptual and analytical skills, including the ability to identify problems and provide solutions.
- skills and experience in working with individual or small groups of students experiencing difficulties.
- knowledge of the youth sector, particularly local organisations and services
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Lesmurdie Senior High School can be found by visiting lesmurdie.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information
Please contact Emma Gallager, Senior School Manager by telephoning (08) 9291 1230 or emailing Emma.Gallager@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- consent to a Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check and obtain a current Screening Clearance Number issued by the Department of Education’s Screening Unit prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment and every three years thereafter;
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 4 December 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.