Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS863809
Suitable applicants from vacancy IPS/SS824877 need not apply
Do you have what it takes to improve the learning outcomes of students with learning difficulties?
Kent Street Senior High School (SHS) is seeking to establish a pool of Special Needs Education Assistants for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies that may arise during Term 4, 2023 and up to the end of Term 3, 2024. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within Term 4, 2023, up to the end of Term 3, 2024.
We are looking for Education Assistants who are ideally highly competent and experienced with a passion for working with students with special needs. The priorities and goals of this position are to assist students to reach their full potential through the development of their academic, physical, and social skills.
Suitable applicants should be innovative, team players and have well developed behaviour management skills, particularly in dealing with challenging and complex behaviour. As a Special Needs Education Assistant, you will, under teacher direction, assist in the delivery of planned education programs and in promoting a supportive and inclusive learning environment.
Kent Street SHS aims to empower students to achieve through innovative teaching and mutual respect. Through our motto of ‘Courage to Achieve', we focus on our values of Respect, Resilience and Responsibility for the ultimate benefit of our students.
Kent Street SHS, located within 5 kilometres of the Perth CBD, is proud to be an Independent Public School. We cater for a diverse clientele, some who travel great distances to engage in our Approved Specialist Programs or reside at the Rotary Residential College located onsite. We also work as part of the Curtin Education Community to actively engage our local primary schools in the Victoria Park area, with the ultimate aim being that Kent Street becomes their recognised and respected secondary school of choice.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Kent Street Senior High School can be found by visiting www.kentstreetshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Karla Brennan, Lead Education Assitant - Special Needs, by telephoning (08) 9262 0500 or emailing Karla.Brennan@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- consent to a Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check and obtain a current Screening Clearance Number issued by the Department of Education’s Screening Unit prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment and every three years thereafter;
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 1 December 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.