Advertised Vacancy Number: DOE862262
We are seeking to establish a pool for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during 2024 and 2025. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within 2024 and 2025.
Home Education Moderator’s will evaluate the educational programs being implemented by families registered for home education in the South Metropolitan Region and will verify that student progress is adequate. They will have a thorough understanding of the Western Australian Curriculum and have knowledge of appropriate educational programs for home education students across the phases of schooling and an understanding of catering for individual learning needs in the home education context.
Suitable applicants will possess verbal and interpersonal communications skills including the ability to effectively liaise with parents and other education professionals and outside agencies and written communication skills including ability to prepare correspondence and reports.
This position is accountable to the Director of Education, South Metropolitan Education Region, for evaluating and certifying the educational programs and progress of home educated students. Home education registers students from Pre-Primary to Year 12. The South Metropolitan Education Region stretches across the metropolitan area from Fremantle to Roleystone and as far south as Pinjarra and Waroona. Home education families are spread across this area.
While the region generally clusters home education families to allocate moderators to an area, this position requires considerable travel. Home Education Moderators are required to travel for meetings in the homes of home educators.
While Home Education Moderators need to be registered with Teacher Registration Board of Western Australia (TRBWA), the role of Home Education Moderator will not provide sufficient teaching experience for a teacher to reapply for full teacher registration. TRBWA has ruled these positions to be non-practising.
The School Education Act 1999 allows parents to exercise educational choice. One means of this is registration as home educators who assume responsibility for their children’s education during the compulsory years of school. The Department registers and monitors home educators to confirm that the educational programs delivered to children at home meet the requirements of the Western Australian Curriculum.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate your competency against the following domains (that govern the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers):
- Professional knowledge;
- Professional practice; and
- Professional engagement.
Applications will be assessed against these domains. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
Applicants currently completing the Department of Education Leap program (formerly known as the Switch program) can apply for vacancies using their current or Leap qualification – even if they have not completed the program at the time of applying. Applicants may be appointed to a vacancy based on the qualification being completed via the Leap program.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
All inquiries are welcomed
Please contact Dan Watt, Coordinator Regional Services - South Metropolitan Education Regional Office by telephoning (08) 9336 9521 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow all instructions. It is recommended you have relevant documents completed and ready to attach with your online application. Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications must be received prior to the closing date and time.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the domains that govern the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- consent to a Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check and obtain a current Screening Clearance Number issued by the Department of Education’s Screening Unit prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- meet the Department of Education Teacher Qualifications and Registration requirements;
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment and every three years thereafter;
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement; and
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 1 December 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.