Access a higher starting salary and other benefits by working in one of our regional schools.
Recent graduates or Initial Teacher Education (ITE) students who completed their studies or are in their final year of study at a Western Australian University can apply to the Advanced Graduate Program.
High-performing education students and graduates from WA universities can access a range of benefits when starting their teaching career in a regional public school through applying for and gaining Advanced Graduate Program status. These include higher pay levels, additional rent subsidies and permanency after completing 2 continuous years of services in one or more regional public schools; and are in addition to existing graduate teacher benefits.
If your application for the program is successful, you will receive Advanced Graduate Program (AGP) status. The AGP status will identify you as a high-achieving graduate when applying for teaching jobs in the Department of Education and is valid for 12 months following graduation. For full details about the program, visit Advanced Graduate Program.
Want to learn more about our exciting new program? Connect with our experts online to uncover all the details! Register now for our Introducing the Advanced Graduate Program live chat Wednesday, 7 February from 4:00pm - 4:30pm AWST.
Please note that this is not an employment pool.
To apply for a job, please check out our information about teaching in regional, remote and rural WA, browse our list of current jobs and apply to our Graduate Teacher Pool
Working for the Department of Education allows you to enjoy a range of professional and personal benefits including:
- attractive allowances in most country areas from $5,000 up to $13,730 a year
- graduate teacher allowance of up to $1,600 a year in the first two years of teaching
- 11 percent employer contributions to superannuation
- 12 weeks’ vacation leave (school holidays)
- more than 20 days of other leave, including sick leave and carers’ leave
- subsidised or free accommodation where applicable
In addition to the above professional and personal benefits, graduate teachers who have achieved AGP status and take up a position for a period of at least 6 months at 0.8FTE (four days per week) or more in a regional school will:
- commence on a higher starting salary
- receive 1 additional funded return trip to Perth (or another location in WA) per year on top of the 2 already on offer to most regional employees
- receive heavily subsidised Government Regional Officer’s Housing in their second year of appointment where applicable
After 24 months of continuous service in regional schools, program participants will become a permanent Department of Education employee and receive a guaranteed transfer to an education region of choice, including metropolitan (subject to vacancies).
This is your opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of children and young people through innovative lesson planning, creative classroom delivery and inspiring a passion for learning.
The Application and Selection Process
This process has regular intakes where our selection panel convene to assess new applications. You are encouraged to use the intake deadlines below as a guide for submitting your application, depending on your preferred commencement date if you are successful.
- Intake Two: 6 November 2023 - 12 February 2024
- Intake Three: 13 June 2024 - 8 July 2024
New, completed applications received by midnight on the above dates will be reviewed by the selection panel for each intake.
You must submit your written application before the closing date of each intake for your application to be considered.
Who can apply
To be eligible to apply, you must:
- have completed your initial teacher education studies at a WA university in the last 6 months; or be in your final semester of study towards an initial teacher education qualification at a WA university.
- have performed to a very high standard in your most recent professional experience placement.
- have completed your university coursework to a high standard.
- be ready to work in a regional public school.
You must apply for and gain Advanced Graduate Program status before commencing a new contract if you want to access the associated benefits.
Please ensure you download the AGP Applicant Pack at the bottom of this advertisement to access additional information about what must be included in your application.
Please note that you are not applying for a job by submitting your application.
After you have all required documents and other information ready, please click on the Apply for Job button below. Please note that this is a standard ‘button’ on JobsWA and by applying to the AGP, you are not actually applying for a job
You can make changes to the documents while the application window is open.
How the process works
This will be a two-stage selection process.
In the first stage, applicants will need to submit:
- Evidence of high academic achievement in coursework and professional experiences.
- Details of two (2) referees; one will need to be the school-based supervisor for your professional experience.
- A one (1) page covering letter that provides examples of the impact your teaching has had on the students you have taught.
Applicants assessed as competitive in the first stage will be invited to the second stage of the process.
In the second stage, competitive applicants will be asked to participate in a one-way video interview that can be completed at a time that is convenient for them within a given timeframe using the Vieple platform.
A panel will assess all interviews and will notify applicants of the outcome via email.
The attached AGP applicant pack clarifies what you will need to upload when applying to the program. It is recommended that you have all required documents ready to attach before clicking the “Apply for Job” button.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive a confirmation email.
For further information
If you require any other advice about the program that cannot be found by visiting Advanced Graduate Program, please call our Teach in WA team on 9264 4412 (option 2).
If you do not receive a confirmation email, or are experiencing any trouble submitting your online application, please contact Staff Recruitment and Employment Services on (08) 9264 4127.
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE.