Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/TCH846731
This is a twelve (12) month fixed term, full-time position commencing Term 1, 2024 with possible extension and/or permanency
Broome Senior High School (SHS) is seeking a dedicated and enthusiastic Humanities and Social Sciences (HASS) Teacher to join our school in 2024.
Working for the Department of Education attracts a range of attractive professional and personal benefits including:
- Attractive Country Teaching Program Allowance of $10 210 per year
- Locality allowance of $3 469 per year
- Attraction and Retention Incentive of $7,000 see info below
- 11 percent employer contributions to superannuation
- 12 weeks’ vacation leave (school holidays)
- More than 20 days of other leave, including sick leave and carers’ leave
- Subsidised GROH accommodation
- Free intra and inter-state relocation
Teachers and school administrators employed at Broome Senior High School in 2024 are eligible to receive an Attraction and Retention Incentive of $7,000 (pa, gross – to be adjusted pro rata for FTE and tenure). Eligible staff will receive a percentage of this payment on commencement at the school, with the remainder paid at the end of the school year. Staff must remain employed in the location until the end of the school year to be eligible to receive the second payment.
The ARI payment is in addition to other incentives that may apply in this school.
Our Broome SHS vision is to realise the potential of every student to achieve personal excellence in all endeavours. We do this by providing a safe and caring learning environment with a focus on excellence, through high quality teaching and positive respectful relationships.
About the role
The successful applicant will ideally possess training and/or experience teaching Year 11 or 12 Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) HASS courses and also have experience and/or capacity to teach Year 7 to 10 HASS subjects. You will ideally have relevant curriculum knowledge and a willingness to work collaboratively in a strong team environment to engage in the teaching and learning of HASS courses for lower school and senior school. Experience in teaching students with varying literacy levels, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students and those with special needs is highly desirable. Knowledge of Trauma-Informed Practice and Positive Behaviour Support (PBS) is also preferred but not essential.
Broome SHS is on Yawuru land. The area is rich and diverse both culturally and naturally. The school embraces all cultures within the community, working to reflect the identity of those we serve. Broome is also a vibrant and attractive coastal town in the Kimberley region of Western Australia. It is well resourced with facilities and services that enable an enjoyable lifestyle whilst we ensure high level outcomes for student learning.
For more information about Broome visit Destination – Broome.
For additional information to all allowances and housing please contact Housing and Transport at email@example.com or on (08) 9264 5154.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate your competency against the following domains (that govern the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers):
- Professional knowledge;
- Professional practice; and
- Professional engagement.
Applications will be assessed against these domains. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
Applicants currently completing the Department of Education Leap program (formerly known as the Switch program) can apply for vacancies using their current or Leap qualification – even if they have not completed the program at the time of applying. Applicants may be appointed to a vacancy based on the qualification being completed via the Leap program.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Broome Senior High School can be found by visiting www.broomeshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
Appointed applicants may be eligible for Recognition for Teachers - Prior Service and Qualifications
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Dan Walker, Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Broome, by telephoning (08) 9193 4100 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
During the school holiday period, please contact Dan Walker on 0428 590 484
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the domains that govern the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- meet the Department of Education Teacher Qualifications and Registration
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement; and
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 13 October 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.