Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS846818
Carine Senior High School (SHS) is seeking to establish a pool of Laboratory Technicians for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2023 school year and up to the end of Term 3, 2024. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2023 school year, up to the end of Term 3, 2024.
The Carine SHS Science Department operates across four blocks within the school campus, each with its own Laboratory Technician, therefore you will ideally need to be able to work independently, while collaborating with the Laboratory Team to achieve common goals. Good Interpersonal skills will be highly regarded.
As Laboratory Technician you will, under supervision, provide support to teaching staff in the area of routine chemical and equipment preparation, and construction of simple apparatus for science classes whilst ordering supplies, equipment and managing stock levels. The suitable applicants will perform basic repairs and maintenance on the equipment whilst constructing teaching aids as required. Additionally, you will be responsible for the labelling, maintaining and safe storing of laboratory chemicals, equipment and resources and the disposal of chemical, physical, and biological laboratory materials.
The suitable applicants should have initiative, good interpersonal skills, verbal, and written communication skills, as well as exceptional organisational skills. Suitable applicants will ideally be motivated and possess the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively as part of a team.
Carine SHS is an Independent Public School and school of choice in the northern suburbs of Perth. Our school became an Independent Public School in 2015 and has since been leading academic performance from years 7-12 through the recruitment and development of highly effective program coordinators, teachers and support staff. Our vision is to seek excellence in education. We do this through individualised student pathways, which are consistently reviewed and adapted to ensure the best possible outcomes for all students. The school plans and consults with families, universities and vocational training facilitators to help students achieve their best possible results for their futures.
The academically focused learning environment caters to all levels of learners. Carine SHS is a Department of Education Gifted and Talented Secondary Selective Entrance school. Academically talented students from outside the local intake area may attend. Academic Extension programs are offered too. We also have a dedicated Learning Centre to support students with diverse learning needs. This includes our Focus Literacy and Numeracy program, in combination with Direct Instruction literacy specialist classes. These classes cater for students requiring support to narrow the gap in these areas.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Experience working within a science laboratory, including knowledge of laboratory techniques and relevant safety and legislative requirements.
- Knowledge of science subjects relevant to the curriculum taught in secondary schools and the ability to design and construct experiments and equipment to support curriculum requirements.
- Good written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Organisational and time management skills and ability to work independently.
- Well-developed keyboarding and computer skills including a working knowledge of databases, spreadsheets, and word processing.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Carine Senior High School can be found by visiting carinehs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Daniel Aleksovski, Head of Learning Area - Science, by telephoning (08) 6235 7500 or emailing Daniel.Aleksovski@education.wa.edu.au
During the school holiday period, please contact Daniel Aleksovski on 0432 495 475.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
ELIGIBILITY AND TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
Employees will be required to:
- hold a Certificate lll in Laboratory Skills or equivalent qualification or experience.
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment.
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement.
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy.
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 23 October 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.