Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SA848833
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2024
Rossmoyne Senior High School (SHS) is seeking to appoint an energetic, inspiring and dynamic leader to take up a position as Head of Learning Area (HOLA) – English. Joining Rossmoyne SHS represents an exciting opportunity for you, as an instructional leader, to demonstrate the vision, experience, professional knowledge, and skills required to lead staff and students to academic excellence.
As Head of the Learning Area – English, you will ideally be able to bring people together. You will work collaboratively with the members of the senior leadership team and the wider school community to provide educational leadership through developing and promoting the school's vision and strategic directions.
The successful applicant will be responsible for managing a large and diverse team. Ideally, it would help if you displayed a high level of understanding of the Australian Professional Teacher Standards, the Western Australian curriculum, and innovative practice in teaching English. You will take on significant levels of accountability through monitoring and tracking student progress, reflecting and assessing teaching practices' effectiveness, and engaging staff to revitalise curriculum to ensure that teaching and learning programs are responsive to the needs of the 21st-century learner. You also will implement collaborative practices to support positive futures for the students in our community and report against targets outlined in the school's Business Plan.
The successful applicant should commit to the school's values: integrity, connection, aspiration, respect and excellence (iCARE). Additionally, teachers will ideally embrace the school's pedagogical process, including applying key learning capabilities within teaching programs, ongoing performance development processes and the associated program of quality teaching strategies, including peer observation. Rossmoyne SHS staff continuously work collaboratively with their peers and other staff across the campus. Leadership and team player skills are highly desirable.
There is an expectation that all staff have a focus on pastoral care, student wellbeing and a commitment to forming positive working relationships with students and colleagues. Staff engage with parents to assist student learning and ensure there are no surprises about student progress.
This position will include a teaching component.
As a Quality Teaching Strategy Lead School, successful applicants would be expected to be familiar with the Teaching For Impact Framework and understand what effective teachers believe, know and do to support student success. Our current Business Plan focuses on our vision to "honour the culture, embrace opportunity and shape the future". Further about the school business plan information can be found here. We strongly encourage applicants to read through the plan to understand better the role's context and our commitment to ensure our students are equipped with the skills, capabilities, and understandings that will empower them to live and work successfully in the 21st century.
As one of the first Independent Public Schools in Western Australia, Rossmoyne SHS is one of the nation's leading schools. Our students annually achieve outstanding levels of academic excellence. We provide exceptional visual and performing arts and sports programs, exciting opportunities in vocational education, and strong pastoral care. Our culture is described by staff and community as positive, professional, inclusive, dynamic, and focused on excellence. Our students are very proud of the positive reputation of our school. They find the school diverse, progressive and filled with growth opportunities. They feel a sense of belonging and support each other to balance competition and cooperation to achieve positive outcomes.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Capacity to provide effective leadership in a diverse range of educational settings;
- High level of interpersonal and public relations skills that demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships to achieve planned outcomes;
- Professional knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to ensure a high level of educational outcomes for all students (e.g. Aboriginal students, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with special needs);
- Capacity to manage staff, physical and financial resources.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Rossmoyne Senior High School can be found by visiting rossmoyne.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
For further job related information:
Please contact Michelle Price by telephoning (08) 9235 1617 or 0419 935 991 or by emailing Michelle.Price@education.wa.edu.au
During the school holiday period, please contact Michelle Price, using the contact details above.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A maximum four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements in context of the role and business needs of the school.
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for three (3) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably your current line manager, a peer who has recently worked directly with you, a staff member you recently have line-managed or mentored
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 23 October 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED