Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS851553
Piara Waters Primary School (PS) are seeking to establish a pool of highly competent and ideally experienced Education Assistant - Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2024 school year and up to the end of Term 2 2024. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2024 school year, up to the end of Term 2 2024.
We are looking for Education Assistants who are passionate about working with students with special needs. The priorities and goals of this position are to assist students to reach their full potential by developing their academic, physical, and social skills.
Suitable applicants should be able to work effectively with individual students, and small groups of students, to implement adjustments to enable access to the curriculum. We are strongly committed to ensuring the support of a Special Needs Education Assistant results in improved curriculum access, progress and achievement for every student.
Being flexible, exercising initiative and working as part of a team will be is highly desirable. Suitable applicants should have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and have the ability to collaborate with teachers to create and maintain a supportive, inclusive education program to meet the specific needs of the students.
Suitable applicants should also have a strong knowledge of a range of evidence-based techniques for learning and behaviour and have some experience or knowledge of disabilities. Knowledge or experience in working with English as an Additional Language or Dialect (EAL/D) students with disability would be advantageous.
You will work either under general supervision or autonomously and contribute advice and expertise, collaborating with school community members to support student achievement. We are seeking applicants who are committed to enhancing students’ learning opportunities using their understanding of differentiation, intervention and engagement strategies to assist students in accessing the curriculum.
At Piara Waters PS we are focused on ensuring a high-quality education for all of our Kindergarten to Year 6 students. As an Independent Public School, we utilise the flexibilities afforded to us, to ensure the highest possible outcomes for students. Every decision is focused on every classroom, and every student, every day. Our key values of Respect, Active Participation, Collaboration, Responsibility, and Generosity underpin all that we do.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Piara Waters Primary School can be found by visiting piarawatersps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Alison Ramm, Principal by telephoning (08) 9397 4300 or emailing Alison.Ramm@education.wa.edu.au
During the school holiday period, please contact Alison Ramm on 0438 924 649.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- complete the Department’s induction program within 3 months of commencement
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within 6 months of appointment
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement.
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be
actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 19 October 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.