Advertised Vacancy Number: DOE844750
This is a twelve (12) month fixed term, full-time position commencing in Term 4, 2023 with possible extension (12 months)
Legal and Legislative Services has a vacancy for a Legal Officer due to parental leave. The substantive occupant of the position will commence parental leave on 1 December 2023.
The successful applicant will preferably have a minimum of 3 years plus post admission legal practice experience.
The successful applicant will be required to manage civil claims against the Department principally relating to historical institutional sexual abuse compensation. The Officer will work with the Insurance Commission of WA (ICWA), State Solicitor’s Office or private law firms and Counsel to manage the claims.
The Officer will work in a small team and report to the Department’s General Counsel. There will also be a requirement to provide general advice on various Department legal matters including statutory interpretation and workplace law.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Your written application will be assessed against the following Selection Criteria:
- Demonstrated well developed written communication skills, with experience preparing legal documents.
- Demonstrated well developed interpersonal skills, including the ability to convey complex legal concepts within a team environment.
- Demonstrated well developed organisation skills and the ability to meet deadlines.
Shortlisted applicants will have their skills and experiences in relation to the remaining selection criteria assessed in the further stages of the recruitment process. Remaining selection criteria can be found on the attached Job Description Form (JDF).
For a full outline of the role responsibilities and selection criteria, please refer to the JDF.
It is recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
All inquiries are welcomed
Please contact Graham Wimbridge, General Counsel by telephoning (08) 9264 4052 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow all instructions. It is recommended you have relevant documents completed and ready to attach with your online application. Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications must be received prior to the closing date and time.
Your application should include:
- A two (2) page statement addressing the selection criteria listed above, in context of the role and business needs of the branch
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please phone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please phone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and Training Requirements
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- possess a tertiary qualification in law and admittance to practice law in Western Australia
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance before commencing employment
- the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- training specific to this role required by Department policy; and
- the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment
- the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 16 October 2023
Lodgement is system generated. Any submissions at, or after, 4:30pm will not be accepted.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our division for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.