Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS850053
Suitable applicants from previous process IPS/SS795823 need not reapply
Creaney Education Support Centre (ESC) is seeking to establish a pool of Special Needs Education Assistants for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2023 school year and up to the end of Term 2, 2024. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2023 school year, up to the end of Term 2, 2024
Suitable applicants will, under teacher direction, assist in the implementation of specialised education programs such as occupational therapy, speech therapy and physiotherapy programs. You will also, when required, provide feedback on education and therapy programs and participate in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of goals in special education. As an Education Assistant – Special Needs, you will provide feedback to the teacher on student progress. Experience with students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and knowledge of Treatment and Education of Autistic and Related Communication-Handicapped Children (TEACCH), Individual Education Plans (IEPs), Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA), Augmentative and Alternative Communication, Key Word Sign, and Team Teach training would be highly desirable.
Creaney ESC caters for students with Special Needs aged between four and twelve years old. Our students have varying degrees of intellectual and/or physical disabilities and/or Autism Spectrum Disorder. With specially trained staff and well- appointed facilities, we are able to offer individualised programs that best suit the diverse needs of each of our students within a safe and inclusive environment. We share a campus with Creaney Primary School in the suburb of Kingsley. This location allows us to offer a range of opportunities for students to integrate with their mainstream peers.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including report writing and the ability to effectively interact with students with special needs, and liaise with parents, teachers and community members and assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to contribute to a professional team and provide advice and evaluation in the development of the education program, including special education and therapy programs where they have been implemented.
- Ability to assist professionals in the implementation and evaluation of education programs, including special education and, if required, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge and understanding of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Effective organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs and subsequent feedback and evaluation to teachers or psychologists.
- Ability to assist with the general health and wellbeing of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Creaney ESC can be found by visiting Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
Please contact Brooke McKenna, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9408 2950 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
During school holidays please contact Storm Breen, Principal on 0467 784 396
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 13 October 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.