Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS848575
Do you want to provide a helping hand in supporting students with diverse learning needs?
Newton Moore Education Support Centre is seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistant – Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise in Term 4 2023 and during the 2024 school year.
As an Education Assistant, you will, under teacher direction, assist in the implementation of specialised education programs such as occupational therapy, speech therapy and/or other therapies as required. You will assist the teacher in the delivery of planned education programs, including the operation of computers and digital technologies, and implement individual student or small group programs or demonstrations. When required, you will provide feedback on education and therapy programs and participate in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of goals in special education You will ideally have the ability to cope well with frequent unpredictability as our students have a range of special needs and we cannot expect them to follow an exact pattern every day. Their needs are widely varied and, as such, our approach and thinking must be too.
Suitable applicants will be deployed within one of the contexts across the school, catering for a full spectrum of disability. Students with high/severe disabilities are accommodated for within specialised environments and students with mild to moderate intellectual disabilities in smaller classes in general learning areas.
Newton Moore Education Support Centre is an Independent Public School nestled in the thriving and idyllic City of Bunbury, WA. We are a “student-centred school” and have a deep understanding that our students are the only reason we exist.
From the proven success of our innovative programs to the passionate engagement of our Teachers and Education Assistants who deliver high quality educational programs to our students, Newton Moore Education Support Centre is quite simply “Dynamic and Different”. Those two words would be a concise yet accurate description of the type of Education Assistants we are looking for.
For the right people, we are offering far more than “just another job”. We are offering:
- A busy and vibrant workplace where really good people work hard and get along well with each other;
- Regular and well-structured team meetings to keep you “in the loop” and give you a voice within a safe environment;
- Ongoing opportunities for you to present and implement approved ideas that improve your work practices, our work environment and our student outcomes;
- A democratic leadership culture that has the right blend of engagement and consultation combined with clarity and consistency around policy and other non-negotiables.
If you like the sound of what we are offering, we encourage you to apply. We are looking for people who will add to our great work environment and healthy culture of honesty, care, consistency and integrity.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Demonstrated effective written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Demonstrated ability to assist professionals in implementing educational programs, including special education and, if required, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Demonstrated knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Demonstrated organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs and subsequent feedback to and evaluation to teachers or psychologists.
- Demonstrated ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Newton Moore Education Support Centre can be found by visiting Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
You are encouraged to contact Claudine Deering, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Bunbury, by emailing Claudine.Deering@education.wa.edu.au or phoning 9722 2480.
During the school holiday period, please contact Claudine Deering on 0460351700
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment.
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- Complete the Department’s induction program within 3 months of commencement.
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy.
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within 6 months of appointment.
- Complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4:30pm (WST) on Monday, 9 October 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.