Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/SS847459
This is a twelve (12) month fixed term, full-time position commencing Term 4, 2023 with possible extension and/or permanency
Calingiri Primary School (PS) is seeking a hardworking Gardener – Handyperson to join their team
Working for the Department of Education can attract the following benefits:
For additional information please see relevant Agreement
About the Role
As a Gardener - Handyperson you will be responsible for maintaining and presenting our school grounds in a clean and tidy condition. The successful applicant will work to provide gardening, grounds, and facility management to ensure a safe, vibrant, and clean school environment. They will maintain and present the school grounds and gardens in an attractive, clean, and tidy condition, and provide a suitable growing environment for both soft and hard landscaping, including turf management. They will also perform minor repairs and maintenance as requested, as well as other Gardener - Handyperson’s duties using safe work practices and in accordance with the Department's policies and guidelines.
About the school
Calingiri PS, located in the Wheatbelt, caters for children from Kindergarten to Year 6. Our students come from a variety of backgrounds, with many living on nearby farms. Calingiri PS is a dynamic learning community where members work collaboratively to give every child the opportunity to realise their full potential and to become resilient, confident and respectful citizens. Our small student population allows us to know each student as an individual. Staff and students work together to create a positive school environment in which every student feels safe and is able to learn in a friendly and caring atmosphere.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
For further information about Calingiri Primary School please visit Schools Online
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Jonelle Ballantyne, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Calingiri, by telephoning (08) 9628 8500 or emailing Jonelle.Ballantyne@education.wa.edu.au
During the school holiday period, please contact Jonelle Ballantyne on Jonelle.Ballantyne@education.wa.edu.au and you will be contacted to discuss your queries further.
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager and;
- A cover letter of no more than two (2) page Please address selection criteria (2 and 4) by providing an example that shows your ability, knowledge and application in relation to each work related requirement.
You will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Sound communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, including turf management.
- Experience in minor servicing of horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks.
- Knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
To submit your application:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your CV and any other supporting documents.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment team on (08) 9264 4127 for assistance.
Eligibility and Training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
And complete the Department’s:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement
- Induction program within three months of commencement
- Introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas
- Training specific to this role required by Departmental policy and;
- Training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4:00pm (WST) on Friday, 20 October 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.