Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS849478
Westfield Park Primary School (PS) is seeking to establish a pool of Special Needs Education Assistant for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2023 school year and up to the end of Term 4, 2024. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2023 school year, up to the end of Term 4, 2024.
Westfield Park Primary School is situated in Camillo and will be opening a Specialised Learning Program for students with Autism in Term 1, 2024. The Program supports the individual needs of students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) from Kindergarten to Year 6.
The program targets students who do not have an intellectual disability with a focus on year level academic engagement and achievement, organisational skills, social cognition development, positive peer relationships and emotional self-regulation.
Evidence Based Practices for students with ASD are used within the Specialist Learning Program - Autism (SLP-A). Staff within the Program are committed to ongoing specialised training to ensure they remain informed of current research.
Flexibility is the key as the school aims to have staff who are able to work between both the SLP and Mainstream classrooms with students’ integration.
The ability to work independently, and at times without supervision; and the ability to think on your feet and use your initiative to manage challenging behaviours are also highly desirable.
Applicants with experience working with special needs students, in particular students with ASD, are encouraged to apply.
Suitable applicants should show excellent communication, interpersonal and organisational skills as well as work in a highly collaborative manner in promoting a supportive and inclusive learning environment.
At Westfield Park PS, we take pride in our holistic approach to education, catering to students from Kindergarten to Year 6. Staff nurture and support each child's individuality, empowering them to embrace the future with integrity, compassion, and a genuine love for lifelong learning. Our school offers a calm natural environment with well-resourced classrooms. We have a strong sense of community and a commitment to provide an education that addresses the academic, artistic, social, physical and emotional development of all the children at our school.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including report writing and the ability to effectively interact with students with special needs, and liaise with parents, teachers and community members and assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to contribute to a professional team and provide advice and evaluation in the development of the education program, including special education and therapy programs where they have been implemented.
- Ability to assist professionals in the implementation and evaluation of education programs, including special education and, if required, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge and understanding of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Effective organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs and subsequent feedback and evaluation to teachers or psychologists.
- Ability to assist with the general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Westfield Park Primary School can be found by visiting westfieldparkps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Paula Churchward, SLP-A Coordinator, by telephoning (08) 9234 9200 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
During the school holiday period, please contact Paula Churchward on 0450434692.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) - five (5) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- Complete the Department’s induction program within 3 months of commencement
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within 6 months of appointment
- Complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4:30pm (WST) on Monday, 9 October 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.