Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS838125
We are seeking to establish a pool for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2024 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2024 school year.
Cable Beach Primary School (PS) has an Endorsed Education Support Program that caters for students with diagnosed disabilities including Autism Spectrum Disorder, (ASD), Global Developmental Delay and Intellectual Disability. Our Education Support program provides small class sizes staffed with high ratios of experienced Teachers and Education Assistants with expertise in disability. Students have access to an alternative learning environment with a sensory room and outdoor area fitted with a range of specialised equipment. Based on site we are proud to provide an inclusive environment where students are exposed to a range of different mainstream integration opportunities appropriate for their development.
Cable Beach PS is seeking Education Assistant – Special Needs for both the Endorsed Program and to support diagnosed students in their mainstream classes.
As a Special Needs Education Assistant, you will assist and manage students who have challenging behaviours. We are seeking applicants who will ideally be able to use their initiative, provide high levels of positive reinforcements and work collaboratively with teachers to ensure the delivery of high quality, student-focused learning programs. To be suitable for this role you will ideally have effective interpersonal and communication skills to provide support to ensure the learning environment is inclusive, relevant and caters for the needs of the child.
Staff work alongside NDIS and other therapy providers to collaborate on goals to ensure home and school are working together and students can achieve success. Cable Beach PS Education Support follow the underlying principles of TEACCH (Treatment and Education of Autistic and Related Communication Handicapped Children) program. The highly structured schedules, routines and visual supports used daily continue to prove highly beneficial to all our students and support success. Communication skills, developing independence and emotional regulation are also a strong focus for our students. Experience facilitating communication with non-verbal students using Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) such as visuals, speech devices and PECS is desirable. Special Needs Education Assistants are required to work closely in a team and provide support to colleagues when needed.
Cable Beach PS presents as an exciting and dynamic environment for students to learn. Our four values; Be Safe, Be Respectful, Be Resilient and Strong and Be Your Best, are embedded into our curriculum at every level. Using these values, the school implements a Positive Behaviour Support (PBS) program to enhance school culture. The aim is to teach and guide positive behaviours within a fun, safe, nurturing, and inclusive environment.
The school is renowned for its work valuing Aboriginal Education and teaching the Yawuru traditional language and culture - an ongoing school focus. Whole school plans that improve education for our Indigenous students are guided by reflection against the Aboriginal Culture Standards Framework. Recently being reviewed (2019 Public School Review) as an effective school and consistent education award nominations reinforces the belief that Cable Beach PS is an outstanding school.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Cable Beach Primary School can be found by visiting www.cablebeachps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Ceridwen Chance, Deputy Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Broome, by telephoning (08) 9194 7300 or emailing Ceridwen.Chance@education.wa.edu.au
During the school holiday period, please contact Ceridwen Chance on 0429 176 577.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two (2) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- complete the Department’s induction program within 3 months of commencement
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within 6 months of appointment
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Tuesday, 10 October 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.