Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS847541
Busselton Senior High School (SHS) is seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistant - Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2023 school year and up to the end of Term 4, 2024. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2023 school year, up to the end of Term 4, 2024.
We are looking for highly competent and dedicated Education Assistants with a passion for working with students with special needs. The priorities and goals of this position are to assist students to reach their full potential through the development of their academic, physical, and social skills. The suitable applicants should be innovative, team players and have well developed behaviour management skills, particularly in dealing with challenging and complex behaviour.
The school’s strength is in its commitment to develop the 'whole child' and to empower them to be independent and confident learners so that they can be purposeful contributors in an increasingly independent world. Our success is built on solid foundations and on the skills of an outstanding staff.
The suitable applicants will assist the teachers in delivering planned educational programs and should encourage a supportive and inclusive learning environment. We are seeking flexible individuals who display the ability to work independently, as well as being a team player. You should possess cultural awareness and be focused on delivering programs to individuals and groups, including those students with complex needs, and diagnosed disabilities eg. ASD/ADHD You will ideally work in an environment committed to whole school approaches; self-reflection and continuous self-improvement; working in teams to further the learning needs of both students and staff.
Our challenge as an Independent Public School, is to plan for educational change in a rapidly evolving and growing community. We aim to provide educational relevance and opportunities for students within the town. Concurrently, the traditions and history of the school need to be honoured and preserved.
The location and community
Busselton SHS is situated in a coastal town in the Southwest of Western Australia. The school was established in 1958 and has served the community for over 60 years. Busselton SHS has a proud history with fine traditions in place, created by the various student bodies over time, along with a loyal, dedicated staff. A loyal and dedicated team of staff members are committed to building upon our past achievements.
For more information about Busselton visit Busselton, WA - Aussie Towns
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position; occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Busselton Senior High School can be found by visiting www.busseltonshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Cecilia Douglas, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Busselton, by telephoning (08) 9751 8900 or emailing Cecilia.Douglas@education.wa.edu.au
During the school holiday period, please contact Cecilia Douglas on 0457 207 624.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A maximum of a four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- Complete the Department’s induction program within 3 months of commencement
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within 6 months of appointment
- Complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 16 October 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.