Advertised Vacancy Number: SS/TCH846166
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2024
Are you a dedicated and passionate Primary Teacher looking for a rewarding opportunity?
Halls Creek District High School (DHS) is seeking an enthusiastic Primary Teacher who is willing to work with students who has learning difficulties, to join their friendly school.
Working for the Department of Education attracts a range of attractive professional and personal benefits including:
- Attractive Remote Teaching Service Allowance of $15 370 per year
- Locality allowance of $4 888 per year
- 11 percent employer contributions to superannuation
- 12 weeks’ vacation leave (school holidays)
- 10 weeks Remote Teaching Service leave upon completion of six semesters of continuous service, or 22 weeks after eight semesters
- More than 20 days of other leave, including sick leave and carers’ leave
- Subsidised leave travel during major vacations
- Free GROH housing
- Airconditioning Subsidy
- Free furniture relocation (same support offered after completion of the contract)
- Long term furniture storage while in GROH accommodation
- Vehicle relocation
About the Role
It would be highly desirable for the suitable applicants to possess a skill set that includes knowledge of Play Based Learning, Letters and Sounds, Numeracy, Alternative Augmentative Communication, Positive Behaviour Support, including functional behaviour analysis and self-regulation, Treatment and Education of Autistic and related Communications Handicapped Children (TEACCH) and Digital Technologies. Knowledge and understanding of the Kimberley Schools Project is desirable for all suitable applicants.
About the School
We require a high-quality teacher who is enthusiastic and dedicated to teaching students with Autism Spectrum Disorder, Intellectual disabilities, Physical disabilities, sensory impairment, and challenging behaviours. Ideally, applicants will possess an in-depth understanding of evidence-based practice and specialist education support pedagogy. We are seeking applicants in primary aged classes, and innovative Duties Other Than Teaching (DOTT) provision.
Located in the Central Kimberley Region between Broome and Kununurra, most students come from the town of Halls Creek and the communities of Mardiwa Loop and Nicholson Block. A few students commute from several family communities within 20 km of Halls Creek, Koongie Park Station (20 km) and Lamboo Station (40 km).
At Halls Creek District High School (DHS), we have developed both a culture of high expectations and a high care environment where success is supported and celebrated. We are striving to be a school of achievement through our consistent teaching practices, dynamic educational experiences, and active community engagement.
Halls Creek DHS has an enrolment of approximately 400 students across the Kindergarten to Year 12 campus, with a 98% Aboriginal enrolment. Located in the beautiful East Kimberley Region, we are part of the Kimberley Schools Project, and are committed to attracting, recruiting and coaching teachers to master explicit teaching pedagogy.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate your competency against the following domains (that govern the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers):
- Professional knowledge;
- Professional practice; and
- Professional engagement.
Applications will be assessed against these domains. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
Applicants currently completing the Department of Education Leap program (formerly known as the Switch program) can apply for vacancies using their current or Leap qualification – even if they have not completed the program at the time of applying. Applicants may be appointed to a vacancy based on the qualification being completed via the Leap program.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Halls Creek District High School can be found by visiting Schools Online
Appointed applicants may be eligible for Recognition of Experience and Qualifications
For further job-related information
You are encouraged to contact Daniel Pollard, Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Halls Creek, by telephoning (08) 9171 5555 or emailing Daniel.Pollard@education.wa.edu.au
During the school holiday period, please contact Daniel Pollard on 0423 466 596.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two to three (2-3) page statement addressing the domains that govern the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- meet the Department of Education Teacher Qualifications and Registration
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement; and
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 2 October 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS