Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS846216
This is a permanent part-time (0.4FTE) position commencing Term 4, 2023
As a Gardener - Handyperson, the successful applicant will work closely with the line manager, providing gardening, grounds and facility management to ensure a safe and clean school environment. The Gardener - Handyperson will be responsible for maintaining and presenting the school grounds and gardens in an attractive, clean and tidy condition, reporting faults, performing tasks and duties using safe work practices, including following Safety Data Sheet guidelines, in a timely manner with minimal disruption to students and staff, and provide a suitable growing environment for both soft and hard landscaping, including turf management. The successful applicant will perform minor repairs and maintenance as requested, as well as other Gardener - Handyperson duties such as line marking in accordance with the Department’s policies and guidelines. As this is a new role you will be responsible for setting up the school Gardeners - Handyperson storeroom with resources.
Yarralinka Primary School has been open for 3 years in the newly developed Southern River. We currently have 148 students from Kindergarten to Year 5. All students have the potential to achieve big things, which is why we place a strong focus on developing all aspects of a child - social, emotional, physical and academic. We work on the understanding that this can only be achieved through collaboration and authentic community partnerships. Everyone at our school - from the principal to the cleaning team- takes on the responsibility of building relationships with students and families in a respectful and culturally responsive manner. The successful applicant should have strong communication and interpersonal skills and be a team player who works collaboratively with colleagues.
The successful applicant should display effective communication skills, be able to develop and maintain good working relationships with staff and external stakeholders and ideally be able to work unsupervised, with the ability to identify and recognise work that is required to be completed. You should also be well organised, have attention to detail, a positive outlook and be a team player.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- sound communication and interpersonal skills.
- experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, including turf management.
- experience in minor servicing of horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks.
- knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
Please visit yarralinkaps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online for more information about (Yarralinka Primary School.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For job related information
Please contact Shiralee Harvey, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9391 4340 or emailing Shiralee.Harvey@education.wa.edu.au
During the school holiday period, please contact Shiralee Harvey on 0435 854 449 or Shiralee.Harvey@education.wa.edu.au and you will be contacted to discuss your queries further.
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager;
- A two (2) page cover letter addressing the Work Related Requirements, in the context of the role and business needs of the school; and
- A completed application form. The application form can be found in the attachments at the bottom of this advertisement. Please only complete the application form if you are not submitting your application online
To submit your application:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your CV and any other supporting documents, or
- Email your completed application form and documents to Shiralee.Harvey@education.wa.edu.au before the closing date and time
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment team on (08) 9264 4127 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
And complete the Department’s:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement
- Induction program within three months of commencement
- Introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas
- Training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- Training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 3.30pm (WST) on Monday, 9 October 2023
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BEFORE THE CLOSING DATE AND TIME.
APPLICATIONS THAT DO NOT COMPLY WITH THE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS LISTED AND LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.