Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS847083
Westminster Primary School (PS) is seeking to establish a pool of Special Needs Education Assistants for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2023 school year and up to the end of Term 3, 2024. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2023 school year, up to the end of Term 3, 2024.
As an Education Assistant - Special Needs, you will assist the teacher in delivering planned education programs and encouraging a supportive and inclusive learning environment. This includes the operation of computers and digital technologies, and implementation of individual student or small group programs or demonstrations.
You will also provide feedback when required on education and therapy programs and participate in the evaluation process relating to student progress. The ability to assist with the general health and wellbeing of students is desired.
Applicants should be flexible and experienced in supporting needs of students with self-regulation of behaviour and social and emotional responses. Experience in using a variety of strategies to develop communication and socialisation skills is desirable. Suitable applicants will ideally have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to collaborate well with the teacher to create and maintain a supportive education program to meet the specific needs of the students.
At Westminster PS we are focused on ensuring a high-quality education for all Kindergarten to Year 6 students, alongside programs, services and partnerships designed to meet the needs of each individual child. Our vision is to support every child every day to learn, grow and achieve. We understand the importance of every child having a strong sense of belonging and feeling safe and valued.
The school promotes an inclusive and culturally responsive learning environment, which caters to the needs of each individual student. We embed high quality evidence-based learning that supports strong progress and success across all curriculum areas. A strong pastoral care approach is provided supporting the social and emotional health and wellbeing of all our students and their families. Westminster PS is unique in offering health and education programs with the onsite Westminster Child and Parent Centre and a KindiLink program for 0-3 playgroup.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Westminster PS can be found by visiting westminsterps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Carol Scattini, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9413 5052 or emailing Carol.Scattini@education.wa.edu.au
During the school holiday period, please contact Carol Scattini on 0415 581 822
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within 6 months of appointment
- Complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement.
- Complete the Department’s induction program within 3 months of commencement
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 6 October 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.