As of Monday, 18 September at 3:30pm the closing date has been amended.
Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/DP835943
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2024
Gnowangerup District High School (DHS) is seeking a dedicated and skilled Deputy Principal to join their team on Goreng Noongar Boodja.
About the position
The successful applicant will provide educational leadership in the school and community by helping develop and promote the school values, ethos, and priorities, and by encouraging school staff, parents and volunteers from the community to share ownership of the school’s vision and goals. They will have skills in curriculum development and student services.
As Deputy Principal, you will work closely with the Principal and educators to provide educational leadership in the school and the community by implementing systems for supporting students and improving curriculum. This role includes a small teaching component to be negotiated based on your strengths.
The successful applicant should be an effective and organised operator who builds trusting and positive relationships with staff, students, and the community. We are at the start of a school improvement journey so a passion for that, and some experience of collaboratively developing new systems would be valued.
Gnowangerup is a small town with a diverse population just over an hour’s drive north of Albany in WA’s Southwest. This drive is through the magnificent Stirling Ranges – the state’s premier hiking destination. Prosperous surrounding farms drive the local economy along with thriving light industrial businesses. Social life is centred on sports – in which we are very competitive.
The school currently has 150 students from Kindergarten to Year 10. We have specialist teachers for secondary MESH subjects, and our primary students benefit from this with high quality DOTT provision. We are committed to distributed leadership and take the wellbeing of our staff and students seriously. Subsidised Government Regional Officer’s housing is available in town.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Capacity to provide effective leadership in a diverse range of educational settings;
- High level of interpersonal and public relations skills that display the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships to achieve planned outcomes;
- Professional knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to ensure a high level of educational outcomes for all students (e.g. Aboriginal students, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with special needs).
- Capacity to manage staff, physical and financial resources.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Gnowangerup District High School can be found by visiting www.gnowangerupdhs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job-related information:
Please contact Ian Bailey, Principal, by telephoning 9827 3300 or emailing Ian.Bailey@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements in context of the role and business needs of the branch
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- Hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 6 October 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.