Advertised Vacancy Number SS/SS845337
Maddington Education Support Centre (MESC) is seeking to establish a pool of dedicated and committed Education Assistant Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2023 school year and up to the end of Term 3, 2024. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2023 school year, up to the end of Term 3, 2024.
MESC is committed to providing safe and secure learning environments for all our students. We explicitly teach students how to self-regulate or ‘to empty their bucket’.
As the successful applicant, you will ideally be able to work effectively within a dynamic team. At MESC we run a rotation system, which allows the educator to deliver individualised curriculum goals; so the ability to work with students of all ages with various diagnoses is highly desirable.
It is desirable for applicants to have experience and knowledge of working with students with special needs. It would also be preferable for them to have skills and experience in Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) strategies, Direct Instruction, Key Word Sign, TouchChat, and other Augmentative Alternative Communication (AAC), both electronic and low-tech versions. Ability to control Information & Communications Technology (ICT) (including the use of iPads, computers and interactive screens), knowledge of 123 Magic for behaviour support and trauma informed practice experience will be highly regarded.
Maddington ESC caters for students in years K to 6. Our students have varying degrees of intellectual and/or physical disabilities and/or Autism Spectrum Disorder. We share a Campus with Maddington Primary School in the suburb of Maddington.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- effective written and oral communication skills, including report writing and the ability to effectively interact with students with special needs, and liaise with parents, teachers and community members and assist teachers in understanding students where necessary
- effective interpersonal skills with the ability to contribute to a professional team and provide advice and evaluation in the development of the education program, including special education and therapy programs where they have been implemented.
- ability to assist professionals in the implementation and evaluation of education programs, including special education and, if required, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- knowledge and understanding of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents
- effective organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs and subsequent feedback and evaluation to teachers or psychologists.
- ability to assist with the general health and well being of students
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Maddington Education Support Centre can be found by visiting www.maddingtonesc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
For further job related information:
Please contact Leslie Eddy, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9205 5950 or emailing email@example.com
During the school holiday period, please contact Jo Markovic on 0436 913 953
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course; and
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten Students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 27 October 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.