Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS846426
This is a ten (10) month fixed term, part-time (0.4FTE) position commencing Term 4, 2023
The successful applicant will assist teaching staff in the delivery of planned education programs and in promoting a supportive and productive learning environment. Our staff work under general supervision and autonomously, and are required to contribute advice and expertise, actively collaborating with colleagues to support student and whole school achievement.
The successful applicant should be organised, committed and have a broad range of skills and strategies to meet the needs of diverse groups of learners with disability. A visible commitment to enhancing student learning through ongoing reflective practice and engagement in professional learning opportunities is desirable.
As the Education Assistant – Special Needs, you should be highly engaged in the development of student independence through planned and explicit approaches to support their self-management and self-regulation skills. This includes involvement in the development, monitoring and review of student programs and plans.
The successful applicant should be competent in the use of ICT (Information Communication Technology). Knowledge or experience of Treatment and Education of Autistic and Communication related Handicapped Children (TEACCH), Australian Sign Language (AUSLAN), assistive technology, BoardMaker, visual schedules, low tech Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC), Discrete Trial Training, Direct Instruction, escalation profiling, monitoring student progress and the maintenance of student records is highly desirable.
Canning Vale Education Support Centre (ESC) is a growing, Independent Public Kindergarten to Year 6 (K – 6) school with a current enrolment of 51 children. We host one of the Autism Early Intervention programs for Kindy and Pre-primary students with Autism. The Centre is situated on a shared campus with Canning Vale Primary School located South East of Perth in the metropolitan area.
We are a team of innovative and hard working professionals who work collaboratively with internal and external partners to create a supportive and caring environment in which our students thrive. The ethos of our school is demonstrated in our commitment to assist students to reach their full potential through the development of their academic, physical and social skills. We are looking for a suitably qualified Education Assistant - Special Needs with a passion for working with children with special needs.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Effective written and oral communication skills, including report writing and the ability to effectively interact with students with special needs, and liaise with parents, teachers and community members and assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to contribute to a professional team and provide advice and evaluation in the development of the education program, including special education and therapy programs where they have been implemented.
- Ability to assist professionals in the implementation and evaluation of education programs, including special education and, if required, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge and understanding of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Effective organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs and subsequent feedback and evaluation to teachers or psychologists.
- Ability to assist with the general health and wellbeing of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Canning Vale Education Support Centre can be found by visiting Schools Online or our school website www.canningvaleesc.wa.edu.au
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Jodie Norwell, Principal, by telephoning (08) 9427 6030 or emailing Jodie.Norwell@education.wa.edu.au
During the school holiday period, please contact Jodie Norwell on 0408 935 154.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- complete the Department’s induction program within 3 months of commencement
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within 6 months of appointment
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement.
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 9 October 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.