Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SA843593
This is a six (6) month fixed term, full-time position commencing Term 1, 2024 with possible extension and/or permanency
Eaton Community College (CC) is seeking a dedicated and enthusiastic leader for the Head of Learning Area for Humanities and Social Sciences (HASS) department. As a key member of our senior high school leadership team, the successful applicant will be able to possess excellent interpersonal skills and committed to providing and fostering high levels of student engagement, academic growth and personal achievement within an environment where diversity and success is celebrated.
The successful applicant will ideally have comprehensive knowledge of the Western Australian Curriculum in HASS and the ability and experience to teach courses across Years 7-12. They will oversee the planning, ongoing development and implementation of School and Curriculum Standards Authority courses, Vocational Education and Training and Endorsed Programs relating to HASS. Analysing and understanding data to inform practice and reflect upon progress is key to identifying evidence-based practices to improve student learning in a planned and strategic manner leading to success for our students.
The successful applicant will ideally have a sound working knowledge of the culture of the College and capacity to work collaboratively with the executive and senior leadership teams. An ability to continue to build staff capacity and strong support utilising the College's pedagogical strategies and the Teaching for Impact framework, as an instructional leader, to deepen staff understandings of what effective teachers believe, know, and do to enable students to succeed will be well regarded.
At Eaton CC we are working hard to become one of the leading secondary schools in the Bunbury area. We are dedicated to selecting specialist staff with strong curriculum knowledge and the ability to develop and maintain positive working relationships with students, parents/guardians, colleagues, and the wider school community. Eaton CC is an Independent Public School (IPS) that offers a wonderful opportunity for local students to access a high-quality secondary education close to home. Eaton is a rapidly growing suburb located less than 10kms from Bunbury.
At Eaton CC we focus on explicit instruction and targeted intervention strategies to ensure every student achieves. Our College staff have a key role in school planning processes including: the analysis of student performance data, development of performance and improvement plans, and application of an evidence-based approach to student performance. As a result, our teachers foster a safe and accountable learning environment that encourages students to further develop higher order thinking skills.
We are supported by an internal specialist literacy and numeracy program with a focus on developing students core reading and number skills. In addition, we have an Education Department endorsed Specialised Learning Program for students with Autism Spectrum Disorder. This program is embedded across all learning areas. Our specialist staff work with classroom teachers to effectively differentiate learning activities and prioritise individual learning needs. At Eaton CC we genuinely care about our students and as a result work hard to provide wrap around support. Our student services team provides extensive social emotional care to allow each student to confidently embrace every learning opportunity.
All staff are expected to adhere to the Department of Education Code of Conduct and actively participate in the school community. In addition, we provide every student with an Apple MacBook and therefore it is expected that staff will maximise the use of the web-based student portal Connect to provide online teaching, learning and assessments and transition away from a paper-based classroom.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Capacity to provide effective leadership in a diverse range of educational settings;
- High level of interpersonal and public relations skills that demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships to achieve planned outcomes;
- Professional knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to ensure a high level of educational outcomes for all students (e.g. Aboriginal students, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with special needs).
- Capacity to manage physical and financial resources.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Eaton Community College can be found by visiting www.eatoncc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information:
Please contact Dani Grant, Deputy Principal, by telephoning (08) 9796 7000 or emailing Danielle.email@example.com
During the school holiday period, please contact Gail Allen on 0434 329 766
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A five (5) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the branch
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 12 October 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.