Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS845259
This is a permanent part-time (0.4FTE) position commencing Term 4, 2023
Please note as of Friday, 22 September 2023 at 3:50pm the closing date for this advert has been amended
Edney Primary School (PS) is seeking to appoint a self-motivated, conscientious, and reliable Aboriginal and Islander Education Officer (AIEO), who will embrace Edney PS values of Respect and Excellence .
Edney PS is an independent public school located in the suburb of High Wycombe. We pride ourselves on being a safe, happy and positive school where all members of our community, staff and students feel valued, listened to and supported to reach their true potential.
The successful applicant will effectively support and assist all students, parents/guardians, the school teaching team and wider community. The applicant will work alongside the leadership team to scaffold and embed the knowledge and understanding of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander history, language, and culture into the school. The applicant will ideally need an understanding of the Aboriginal Cultural Standards Framework and how to support teachers in implementing this into the classroom and community with best practices
The AIEO will ideally support students in the classroom with intentional curriculum learning by supporting the students’ academic needs. The successful applicant will also provide mentoring and pastoral care when needed for students at high risk and trauma.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to effectively interact with students, teachers, parents, community members and professional staff on the provision and development of educational programs.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact on a range of levels in a variety of settings and with different audiences, including community members, teaching and other professionals.
- Ability to contribute to a school-level team and to provide multi-cultural direction in the development of the educational program, development of language resources, and evaluation of education and behaviour management programs.
- Ability to effectively assist teachers in implementing educational and behaviour management programs.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs to students.
- Ability to assist with the general health and well-being of students
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Edney Primary School can be found by visiting edneyps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Irene Melia, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 6216 4700 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
During the school holiday period please contact Irene Melia on email@example.com
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Aboriginality is considered essential for this position under section 50(d) of the Western Australian Equal Opportunity Act.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- complete the Department’s induction program within 3 months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy;
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within 6 months of appointment; and
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 20 October 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.