Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS844641
Do you have a green thumb and a knack for maintaining a safe learning environment?
Piara Waters Senior High School (SHS) is seeking to establish a pool of Senior Gardener-Handypersons for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2023 school year and up to the end of Term 3, 2024. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2023 school year, up to the end of Term 3, 2024.
About the role
Piara Waters SHS is an exciting and new school site with turf areas, vibrant garden bed and thriving shrubs and trees that require ongoing care and maintenance. We are seeking dedicated Senior Gardener/Handypersons to promote a safe, attractive, and inspiring outdoor environment for our students. Suitable applicants will ideally ensure that our school grounds remain safe, tidy and visually appealing. They will ideally play a crucial role in maintaining a welcoming outdoor space for our students to learn, explore and grow. Experience in maintaining equipment, storing gardening materials and chemicals as well as performing minor repairs will be advantageous.
The Senior Gardener/Handyperson will maintain our school's beautiful grounds in line with Safety Data Sheet guidelines and Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) legislation. Suitable applicants will ideally be self-motivated, taking the initiative to work efficiently even when unsupervised. As the school continues to grow, the Senior Gardener/Handyperson will take a leadership role in supervising the workload of gardeners and other facilities staff. As such, excellent communication skills are desirable. Suitable applicants will join our friendly and committed facilities management team, maintaining a safe learning environment for our staff/students and providing support to the Manager Corporate Services on matters related to school grounds and maintenance.
If you are a dedicated and passionate individual who thrives in a dynamic and fulfilling work environment, we encourage you to apply. At Piara Waters SHS, we value the contributions of our team members and offer opportunities for professional growth and development as the school continues to evolve over time.
About the school
Piara Waters SHS is situated in the beautifully landscaped suburb of Piara Waters, approximately 25kms south of Perth. The school is surrounded by luscious greenery and will form part of the vibrant, multicultural community of Piara Waters. The school commenced with Year 7 students in 2023, and will add each year to its growing cohort, until it reaches Year 12 in 2028.
Construction of Stage One commenced in April 2021. Construction is ongoing with the final completion of Stage One to be complete by mid-year 2023. Stage One of the school comprises state of the art facilities, including Education Support, Student Services, an Information Resource Centre, a Cafeteria, Food and Technology areas, Science Laboratories, Humanities and Social Science Learning Areas, AFL/Soccer/Cricket oval and hard courts for Basketball, Netball and Tennis.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, including turf management.
- Experience in servicing horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks.
- Knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials, and chemicals.
- Experience in coordinating and supervising staff.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
Please visit rivaps.wa.edu.au/piara-waters-secondary-college/welcome or Schools Online for more information about Piara Waters Senior High School.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For job related information
Please contact Carol Daniels, Principal, by telephoning (08) 6174 2777 or emailing email@example.com
During the school holiday period, please contact Carol Daniels by email on firstname.lastname@example.org and you will be contacted to discuss your queries further.
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager and;
- A cover letter addressing the following question (in relation to the JDF):
- Please provide an example of how you have maintained gardens, grounds, equipment and tools in a complex environment.
To submit your application:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your CV and any other supporting documents, or
- If you do not have access to a computer, or require help using one, you can visit the school during office hours (Monday to Friday, between 9:00am and 2:00pm) to use a school computer, with technical support available from school-based staff. Please contact the school to arrange a suitable time. Support staff are not available to assist with the content for your application.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment team on (08) 9264 4127 for assistance.
ELIGIBILITY AND TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
And complete the Department’s:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement
- induction program within three months of commencement
- introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas
- training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4:30pm (WST) on Friday, 13 October 2023
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BEFORE THE CLOSING DATE AND TIME.
APPLICATIONS THAT DO NOT COMPLY WITH THE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS LISTED AND LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.