Advertised Vacancy Number SS/SS842421
Midvale Primary School (PS) is seeking to establish a pool of Special Needs Education Assistants for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2023 school year and up to the end of Term 3, 2025. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2023 school year, up to the end of Term 3, 2025.
The Special Needs Education Assistant should be highly motivated, energetic and possess the qualities to promote excellence. They will be part of an effective team and support innovative curriculum. They should also show excellent communication, interpersonal and organisational skills and have the ability to work in a highly collaborative manner in promoting a supportive and inclusive learning environment. Staff will work closely with the leadership team to drive the direction of the school and build a connected community to foster a culture of high performance and high care for all students. They should support positive relationships with students, staff, families and external agencies.
Suitable applicants will, under teacher direction, assist the teacher in the delivery of planned education programs, including the operation of computers and digital technologies; implement individual or small group programs or demonstrations and be able to provide valuable feedback to support student learning. They will be able to support programs relevant to students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Intellectual Disability (ID).
The Special Needs Education Assistant will assist with the preparation and maintenance of the learning environment by maintaining equipment, materials and resources, for use in classes, displays and demonstration, and assisting the teacher with clean and safe storage of items after classes and activities. They will support the teacher with the care and supervision of students in out-of-class activities and on school excursions. Suitable applicants will work across classrooms, so flexibility is highly regarded.
Midvale PS is located approximately 20km from the Perth CBD, within the City of Swan. As a community we create a safe learning environment driven by high expectations for all students to achieve success in all areas. The school motto is Together Everyone Achieves More. This understanding forms the foundation of a truly collaborative approach between staff, students, families and the wider community to change lives and expand possibilities. MPS caters for students from Kindergarten to Year 6.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Midvale Primary School can be found by visiting midvaleps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Anita Waters, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9218 6800 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
During the school holiday period, please contact Anita Waters on 0413 114 685
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- complete the Department’s induction program within 3 months of commencement
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within 6 months of appointment
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 6 October 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS
ARE NOT ACCEPTED.