Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS843219
Please be aware that as of 2:30pm on Wednesday, 20 September 2023, the closing date has been extended.
Belridge Secondary College (SC) is seeking to establish a pool of Special Needs Education Assistants for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2023 school year and up to the end of Term 3, 2024. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2023 school year, up to the end of Term 3, 2024.
As an Education Assistant – Special Needs it is highly desirable that applicants possess the ability to take initiative and proactively respond to changing student needs. The ability to work independently, and at times without supervision; and respond effectively to challenging behaviours are also highly desirable. You should possess the ability to collaborate with teachers, parents and carers, and other colleagues to create an inclusive environment and engaging programs for students. Education Assistants also participate in professional learning opportunities to further build your skills and knowledge.
Suitable applicants may work across contexts including mainstream classes and learning support. You will ideally have the knowledge of effective strategies to support students in different environments. You will be responsible for assisting in the delivery of planned education programs for students. This includes managing small groups of students under the direction of the teacher to assist students to reach their full potential through the development of their academic, physical, and social skills.
As a highly effective member of our school, you should value the importance of establishing and developing positive and professional relationships with parents, students, and staff. You will ideally possess an openness to change and be solution focused; always ensuring you are providing the best opportunities for our students.
Applicants who are trauma informed, adaptable, responsive, and have a highly developed understanding of students with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) and ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder), are encouraged to apply.
At Belridge SC, our culture of respect for self, respect for others and the space, ensure that our students are able to develop as learners in a safe, supportive environment. Our wrap-around student services model provides the highest possible care, placing the student at the centre of everything we do.
A clear focus on 'Every student, Every Classroom, Every day' ensures our students are supported in the best possible way to reach their full potential and achieve success. Our highly qualified and experienced staff provide a quality learning environment for all students through a variety of curricular and extra-curricular learning experiences. Our College has something to offer all learners.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Belridge Secondary College can be found by visiting belridgecollege.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Kerrie Ward, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9408 8000 or emailing Kerrie.Ward2@education.wa.edu.au
During the school holiday period, please contact Kerrie Ward, MCS, on 0417 989 767
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two (2) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
ELIGIBILITY AND TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment.
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- complete the Department’s induction program within 3 months of commencement.
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy.
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within 6 months of appointment
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement.
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 02 October 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.