Please note that an amendment within the eligible to apply section of the advertisement and attachment has been made as of 1:40pm (WST) Wednesday, 19 September 2023
Access a higher starting salary and other benefits by working in one of our regional schools as an Advanced Graduate.
Recent graduates or Initial Teacher Education (ITE) students who completed their studies or are in their final year of study at a Western Australian University can apply to the Advanced Graduate Program.
We are offering high-performing education graduates from WA universities, who apply for and gain Advanced Graduate status and start their teaching career in a regional public school higher pay levels, additional rent subsidies and fast-tracked permanency.
If your application for the program is successful, you will receive Advanced Graduate Program (AGP) status. The AGP status will identify you as a high-achieving graduate for potential employers. As well as the usual benefits and allowances for teachers in regional areas, AGP status will allow you to access extra benefits.
Advanced Graduate status will identify you as a high achieving graduate when applying for teaching jobs in the Department of Education and is valid for 12 months following graduation. For full details about the program, visit Advanced Graduate Program.
Want to learn more about our exciting new program? Connect with our experts online to uncover all the details! Register now for our Introducing the Advanced Graduate Program live chat Wednesday, 22 November 2023 from 4:00pm-5:00pm.
Please note that this is not an employment pool.
To apply for a job, please check out our information about teaching in regional, remote and rural WA, browse our list of current jobs and apply to our Graduate Teacher Pool
Working for the Department of Education allows you to enjoy a range of professional and personal benefits including:
- attractive allowances in most country areas from $5,000 up to $13,730 a year
- graduate teacher allowance of up to $1,600 a year in the first two years of teaching
- 11 percent employer contributions to superannuation
- 12 weeks’ vacation leave (school holidays)
- more than 20 days of other leave, including sick leave and carers’ leave
- subsidised or free accommodation where applicable
In addition to the above professional and personal benefits, Advanced Graduates who take up a position for a period of 6 months at a minimum of 0.8FTE (four days per week) in a regional school will:
- commence on a higher starting salary
- receive 1 additional funded return trip to Perth (or another location in WA) per year on top of the 2 already on offer to most regional employees
- receive heavily subsidised Government Regional Officer’s Housing in their second year of appointment where applicable
- be on track to become a permanent staff member of the Department of Education in a region of choice.
This is your opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of children and young people through innovative lesson planning, creative classroom delivery and inspiring a passion for learning.
Who can apply
To be eligible to apply, you must:
- have completed your initial teacher education studies at a WA university in the last 6 months, or be in your final semester of study towards an initial teacher education qualification at a WA university
- have performed to a very high standard in your most recent professional experience placement
- have completed your university coursework to a high standard
- be ready to work in a regional public school.
You must apply for and gain Advanced Graduate status before commencing a new contract if you want to access the associated benefits.
Please ensure you download the AGP Fact Sheet at the bottom of this advertisement to access additional information about what must be included in your application.
Please note that you are not applying for a job by submitting your application.
After you have all required documents and other information ready, please click on the Apply for Job button below. Please note that this is a standard ‘button’ on JobsWA and by applying to the AGP, you are not actually applying for a job
You can make changes to the documents while the application window is open.
How the process works
This will be a two-stage selection process.
In the first stage, applicants will need to submit:
- Evidence of high academic achievement in coursework and professional experiences.
- Details of two (2) referees; one will need to be the school-based supervisor for your professional experience.
- A one (1) page covering letter.
Applicants assessed as competitive in the first stage will be invited to the second stage of the process.
In the second stage, competitive applicants will be asked to participate in a one-way video interview that can be completed at a time that is convenient for them within a given timeframe using the Vieple platform.
A panel will assess all interviews and will notify applicants of the outcome via email.
The attached fact sheet clarifies what you will need to upload when applying to the program. It is recommended that you have all required documents ready to attach before clicking the “Apply for Job” button.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive a confirmation email.
For further information
If you require any other advice about the program that cannot be found by visiting Advanced Graduate Program, please call our Teach in WA team on 9264 4412 (option 2).
If you do not receive a confirmation email, or are experiencing any trouble submitting your online application, please contact Staff Recruitment and Employment Services on (08) 9264 4127.
You must submit your written application before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 16 October 2023.
EMAILED AND HARD COPY APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED
Please note there will be a second intake on Wednesday, 1 November 2023. The second intake will remain open until early 2024.