Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SA837081
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2024
Are you an inspiring and motivated leader looking for a rewarding opportunity?
Byford Secondary College (SC) is seeking to appoint a highly motivated and proactive leader of HASS to join our leadership team.
Ideally the successful applicant will be an experienced curriculum leader with excellent communication and interpersonal skills to lead a skilled and dynamic team. They should possess a passion for the subject and the capacity to nurture a culture of excellence in teaching through modelling and engaging their team in evidence-based practice to support the learning needs of all students.
Experience in teaching Senior School including Australian Tertiary Admission Ranking Courses is highly desirable. As a member of the college’s Leadership Team, the successful applicant should understand the wider college context and the ability to work alongside fellow Learning Area Leaders and the Executive Team to achieve broader college objectives. Our Leadership Team works collaboratively throughout the year on a range of projects and are well supported with professional learning targeted towards leadership development.
Byford SC is a newer school in Perth’s southern suburbs. We have first-class facilities to support high-quality teaching and learning programs in our College. Our staff report a high level of engagement and satisfaction in working at Byford SC, they are well supported with access to a range of professional learning and other career development opportunities.
Our school offers a unique setting to many other schools with a mix of urban and rural students; although within the city we draw from a large catchment area, which creates a vibrant mix of students and staff. Being a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) school, we have a strong focus on Information Communication Technology (ICT) and developing Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) opportunities for the future. The successful applicant should embrace 21st-century learning practices and participate in leading innovation and change to pedagogy. With our geographic location, we also have a strong focus on sustainability and building strong partnerships with our community and local industry.
Located approximately 30 kilometres from the Perth CBD, our College currently caters for over 1500 Year 7 to 12 students including students with disabilities with our specialist inclusion facilities. Our school motto, Aspire to Excellence, clearly articulates our vision of being the secondary school of choice for the local community providing a comprehensive suite of subjects from Year 7 through 12. The College offers an academic extension program for students by selection, in partnership with the University of Western Australia. The ‘Aspire’ program provides these students with access to the university's staff and facilities to enhance their learning experience.
At Byford, we work together to provide effective learning experiences where we all grow, and students are prepared for a successful life beyond school. Our college’s moral purpose underpins everything we do, and as such, our teaching and allied professionals report a high level of engagement and satisfaction in working at Byford Secondary College.
Staff are supported both personally and professionally, with a keen focus on work-life balance. Targeted support is available for staff across all career stages, from graduate mentoring, classroom observations, instructional coaching and aspirant leadership development programs. Our school’s planning and improvement is based on the Fogarty Edvance program, which is supported and promoted by all leaders across our college.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Capacity to provide effective leadership in a diverse range of educational settings;
- High level of interpersonal and public relations skills that demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships to achieve planned outcomes;
- Professional knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to ensure a high level of educational outcomes for all students (e.g. Aboriginal students, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with special needs);
- Capacity to manage staff, physical and financial resources.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Byford Secondary College can be found by visiting byfordsc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Rosana Stout, Associate Principal, by telephoning (08) 9526 7700 or emailing Rosana.Stout@education.wa.edu.au
During the school holiday period, please contact Rosana Stout on 0439 504 167.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements in context of the role and business needs of the branch
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement;
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Monday, 16 October 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED