Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS823761
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 2, 2023
Are you a dedicated, motivated and enthusiastic person with experience and a strong focus and commitment in horticulture?
Alkimos College is seeking a hard-working and passionate Senior Gardener-Handyperson to join our growing school.
As the Senior Gardener-Handyperson, you will ideally work to provide gardening and grounds management to ensure a safe and clean school environment. You will ideally maintain and present the school grounds and gardens in an attractive, clean, and tidy condition, and provide a suitable growing environment for both soft and hard landscaping, including turf management. The successful applicant will perform minor repairs and maintenance as requested.
The successful applicant will ideally be highly motivated, energetic, and enthusiastic. Our work environment is ideal for applicants who are flexible, reliable and have an outgoing personality. As the Senior Gardener-Handyperson you will ideally provide timely, ‘hands-on' support for the college, as needed. The successful applicant will ideally ensure effective communication and good working relationships are established with school administration, and advice and support to the Manager Corporate Services and Facilities Coordinator is current, relevant, and consistent with the Department’s policies and procedures on school grounds maintenance. Experience in the use of a computer is also desired.
Located in the northern suburb of Alkimos with sweeping ocean views, Alkimos College opened in 2020 with our foundation Year 7 cohort of 176 students, providing local intake area students with access to an exceptional secondary education in world-class learning facilities. Each year we will add an additional cohort, until we reach our full complement of Year 7 -12 in 2025.
Stage 1 buildings include administration, student services, library, gymnasium, fitness centre, food studios, cafeteria, technologies, general classrooms, specialist science laboratories, nature play area and the Specialised Autism Program classroom and Homeroom. Shared oval and community facilities with the City of Wanneroo are available via the adjacent Halesworth Park precinct. Stage 2, (ready in 2024), will include a performing arts centre, dance studio, media studio, music studio, lecture theatre, STEM centre, building and construction centre, hospitality centre, additional student services and general classrooms.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, including turf management.
- Experience in servicing horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks.
- Knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
- Experience in coordinating and supervising staff.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
Further information about Alkimos College can be found by visiting alkimoscollege.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For job related information
Please contact Nancy McNally, Principal, by telephoning 9561 7300 or emailing Nancy.email@example.com
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager and;
- A two (2) page cover letter addressing the Work Related Requirements, in the context of the role and business needs of the school
To submit your application:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your CV and any other supporting documents.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment team on (08) 9264 4127 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
And complete the Department’s:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement
- induction program within three months of commencement
- introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas
- training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4:30pm (WST) on Friday, 2 June 2023
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BEFORE THE CLOSING DATE AND TIME.
APPLICATIONS THAT DO NOT COMPLY WITH THE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS LISTED AND LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.