Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/TCH815682
This is a six (6) month fixed term, full-time position commencing Term 3, 2023 with possible extension (12 months) and/or permanency
Australind Senior High School (SHS) are seeking a vibrant and passionate teacher to join our English - Humanities and Social Sciences (HASS) team.
About the Role
Australind SHS is seeking to appoint an enthusiastic and innovative English/HASS Teacher who is passionate about creating highly engaging and rigorous learning environments for all students. Teachers with upper primary school experience interested in teaching in our Year 7 program are encouraged to apply. Graduate teachers – this could be a great starting opportunity in a High School
The successful applicant should be able to display a capacity for the following:
- Plan, teach and deliver to classes
- Create and design face-to-face lessons with clear learning objectives and outcomes.
- Use existing learning materials and develop your own as required.
- Document and maintain assessment results in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Evaluate and monitor student learning and course progress.
- Play a role in student consultations, assessment grading and moderation.
- Create an interactive and positive learning environment for students.
With effective interpersonal skills, you will work closely with students, teachers and the community to achieve the best educational outcomes for students. You will be able to display teaching and learning strategies that support the development of sound literacy practice within the classroom.
Australind SHS is the largest Independent Public School in the SouthWest region of Western Australia. It is located 1.5 hrs from Perth and is also close to the tourist destinations of Busselton and Margaret River, offering a balanced lifestyle.
The school has a student population of 1200 students which creates many opportunities for students and staff. We are committed to continuous improvement in teaching and learning through reflective practice with a focus on Quality Teaching and Learning, as detailed in our business plan. Our excellent Public School Review demonstrates the success of our teachers and students. Our English programs begin with a literacy based integrated English and HASS program, through to the suite of Year 11/12 Foundations, General English, and our highly successful English Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) and Literature ATAR courses.
We also run a very successful Maths and Philosophy (MAPS) academic program. This program is Education Department approved and engages our academically gifted students from Years 7-10. The MAPS program supports and sets up students for success in Years 11 and 12. Our ATAR results are regularly above like schools and has seen us ranked in the top 50 schools on numerous occasions.
The Location and Community
The Australind community is widespread and diverse with 600 of the 1200 students attending school by bus each day from Harvey, Brunswick Junction, Binningup and a range of other localities within the Harvey Shire. We have a dedicated school Board which supports our tradition of wearing full school uniform and the school ethos of 'Through Endeavour, Success'.
For more information about Australind visit Destination Australind.
In the first instance, only applicants with teaching qualifications will be considered. Where there are no suitable applicants with teaching qualifications, applicants without teaching qualifications may be considered.
We will also consider an internal secondment opportunity for permanent teachers in other locations within the Department of Education who would like to work at our school for up to three years and retain their substantive position. If this interests you, please gain the approval of your principal before applying.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate your competency against the following domains (that govern the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers):
- Professional knowledge;
- Professional practice; and
- Professional engagement.
Applications will be assessed against these domains. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
Applicants currently completing the Department of Education Leap program (formerly known as the Switch program) can apply for vacancies using their current or Leap qualification – even if they have not completed the program at the time of applying. Applicants may be appointed to a vacancy based on the qualification being completed via the Leap program.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Australind Senior High School can be found by visiting www.australind.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
Appointed applicants may be eligible for Recognition of Experience and Qualifications
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Richard Ewing, HoLA HaSS for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Australind by telephoning (08) 9797 4400or emailing Richard.Ewing@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two (2) page statement addressing the Professional Practice domain of the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers, within context of the role
- A CV of up to 4 pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position and the Professional Engagement domain of the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers.
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
- The Professional Knowledge domain will be assessed using other elements in the recruitment process.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check; and
- meet the Department of Education Teacher Qualifications and Registration
Employees will be required to:
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement; and
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Tuesday, 13 June 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.