Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS824107
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 2, 2023
Australind Senior High School (SHS) is seeking a Special Needs - Education Assistant to join their friendly team.
The successful applicant will benefit from our supportive and inclusive working atmosphere providing support for students in the classroom. Sound technology skills, strong use of individual initiative and good behaviour management skills with be considered advantageous. This will include managing small groups of students under the direction of the teacher that will help in the development of young minds and support the general health and wellbeing of students.
The priorities and goals of this position are to assist students to reach their full potential through the development of their academic, physical, and social skills.
The successful applicant will ideally be caring, proactive, and responsive individuals who possess good written and oral communication skills to enable the implementation of individual or small group-based programs.
The successful applicant should display respect, kindness and teamwork at all times. They should also possess high expectations for all students. The successful applicant should be innovative, team players and have well developed behaviour management skills, particularly in dealing with challenging and complex behaviour. You will ideally work in an environment committed to whole school approaches; self-reflection and continuous self-improvement; working in teams to further the learning needs of both students and staff.
About the school
Australind Senior High School is at the heart and soul of the southwest town of Australind – a vibrant, modern community which enjoys a wonderful, relaxed lifestyle located just 14 minutes from central Bunbury.
The school is steeped in tradition – a tradition where every student matters. Its core beliefs stem from their aim to value the potential of every student and expect them to make significant progress irrespective of their starting point.
Australind Senior High School reflects the growing local community. It is a diverse community of smart, interesting, engaging people – both staff and students. We continue to be the school of choice in the Southwest Region. Our focus on excellence in all areas of our work ensures that students can be the best that they can be regardless of their abilities.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents, and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Australind Senior High School can be found by visiting www.australind.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Maureen Bailey, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Australind, by telephoning (08) 9797 4405 or emailing Maureen.Bailey@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment.
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- Complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 9 June 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.