Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SA824774
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 3, 2023
Katanning Senior High School (SHS) is seeking an experienced, dedicated, and dynamic Head of Learning Area to lead and manage the English and Humanities and Social Science(HASS) Learning Areas. They will be committed to achieving the best educational outcomes for students in both learning areas and across the whole school, as part of our dedicated Leadership Team.
The successful applicant will provide leadership to specialist teachers, as well as lead the implementation of excellence in teaching practice across the Learning Areas. This role will require a deep understanding of assessment for learning, differentiated planning, visible learning principles and implementation of the Western Australian Curriculum. In fulfilling this role, they will need to work collaboratively with the Principal, Deputy Principals, members of the leadership team, staff, students, and the wider community.
Katanning SHS is on the Fogarty School Improvement Program, which uses evidence and data to inform school wide shared beliefs on teaching practice in every classroom. They will lead staff to implement the agreed Whole School Instructional Model (WSIM). The WSIM will be a regular part of teacher practice where all students are provided with high quality and timely feedback on their performance. With effective interpersonal skills, suitable applicants will work closely with students, staff, and the community to achieve the best possible educational outcomes for our students and ensure that the school and classroom environments are safe, respectful, tolerant, positive, and inclusive.
Katanning SHS is a Positive Behaviour School. The ability to be student and relationship-focused, enthusiastic, innovative, and work collaboratively in a team environment is essential. They will engage in ongoing self-reflection and assess the effectiveness of teaching practice to create a positive environment conducive to learning. They will explore educational opportunities which provide purposeful and relevant learning experiences that cater for students with diverse learning needs.
Katanning SHS is a Year 7-12 Independent Public School located in the heart of the Great Southern region of WA, part of the Wheatbelt Education Region. Katanning SHS serves a culturally and linguistically diverse community. We celebrate and respect individual differences and work in harmony to ensure success for all students. Our highly professional and experienced teachers are committed to ensuring that all students follow our school motto of “We Strive to Excel” whilst upholding our core values of Respect, Achievement, Perseverance and Tolerance.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances, where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work-related requirements:
- Capacity to provide effective leadership in a diverse range of educational settings.
- High level of interpersonal and public relations skills that demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships to achieve planned outcomes.
- Professional knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to ensure a high level of educational outcomes for all students (e.g., Aboriginal students, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with special needs).
- Capacity to manage staff, physical and financial resources.
Applications will be assessed against the work-related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Katanning Senior High School can be found by visiting katanningshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
For further job-related information:
You are encouraged to contact Innocent Chikwama, Principal, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Katanning, by telephoning (08) 9891 1100 or emailing Innocent.Chikwama@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the work-related requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the branch
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation. Please allow enough time to complete this process, as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
- Hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia.
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment.
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement.
- Complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement.
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4:30pm (WST) on Tuesday, 6 June 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED