Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS821673
Willetton Senior High School (SHS) is seeking to establish a pool of Laboratory Technicians for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2023 school year and up to the end of Term 2, 2024. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2023 school year, up to the end of Term 2, 2024
Suitable applicants should be highly motivated and possess the ability to work collaboratively as part of a team, as well as independently, to assist with the efficient operation of the Science Learning Area.
Duties will include preparing chemicals, equipment and materials, designing and constructing teaching aids and collecting and caring for living organisms for study purposes.
Suitable applicants will also support, induct and train Level 1 Technicians (if present) and induct new science teachers in the safe use of chemicals and equipment, if required. They will also assist with the selection and appointment of new and relieving laboratory technicians
The position will involve general housekeeping of chemicals, equipment (including repairs and maintenance) and the successful applicant should possess a solid understanding of compliance and legislative requirements for chemical, physical and biological laboratory practices.
Willetton SHS is one of the largest schools in Western Australia, drawing its student enrolment from diverse geographic, cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds. With a student population in excess of 2600 and approximately 220 teaching staff and 120 support staff on campus the school is inclusive and comprehensive providing courses for Years 7 to 12. It is the school of choice for many local and international families.
Willetton SHS has a strong, positive culture and as a staff member you will have a key role in ensuring our school values of Care, Respect and Excellence are reflected and underpin all actions.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Experience working within a science laboratory, including knowledge of laboratory techniques and relevant safety and legislative requirements.
- Knowledge of science subjects relevant to the curriculum taught in secondary schools and the ability to design and construct experiments and equipment to support curriculum requirements.
- Good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Organisational and time management skills and ability to work independently.
- Well developed keyboarding and computer skills including a working knowledge of databases, spreadsheets and word processing.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Willetton Senior High School can be found by visiting willettonshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Lance Taylor, Head of Dept Science, by telephoning (08) 9334 7000 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment.
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement.
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy.
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
- Complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 8 June 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.