Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS810585
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 3, 2023
Warwick Senior High School (SHS) is seeking a hard-working and passionate Senior Gardener - Handyperson to join their friendly team.
The Senior Gardener – Handyperson, you provides gardening, grounds and facility management to ensure a safe and clean school environment. You will maintain and present the school grounds and gardens in an attractive, clean and tidy condition, and provide a suitable growing environment for both soft and hard landscaping, including turf management and mark sports areas as required. The successful applicant will perform minor repairs and maintenance, report faults and manage contractors as well as other Gardener - Handyperson duties in accordance with the Department’s policies and guidelines.
The Senior Gardener – Handyperson supervises tasks performed by the Assistant Gardener/Handyperson/s and manages staff performance in accordance with the Public Sector Performance Management Standard and Departmental Policy, in consultation with the Manager Corporate Services.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, including turf management.
- Experience in servicing horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks.
- Knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
- Experience in coordinating and supervising staff.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
Please visit warwickshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online for more information on Warwick Senior High School.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For job related information
Please contact Tayla Barber, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9345 6430 or emailing Tayla.Barber@education.wa.edu.au
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager.
- A three (3) page cover letter addressing the Work Related Requirements, in the context of the role and business needs of the school
To submit your application:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your CV and any other supporting documents, or
- If you do not have access to a computer, or require help using one, you can visit the school during office hours (Monday to Friday, between 8:00am and 3:30pm) to use a school computer, with technical support available from school-based staff. Please contact the school to arrange a suitable time. Support staff are not available to assist with the content for your application.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment team on (08) 9264 4127 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
And complete the Department’s:
- Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course
- induction program within three months of commencement
- introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas
- training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4:00pm (WST) on Wednesday, 21 June 2023
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BEFORE THE CLOSING DATE AND TIME.
APPLICATIONS THAT DO NOT COMPLY WITH THE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS LISTED AND LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.