Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS810309
This is a permanent part-time (0.32FTE) position commencing Term 2, 2023
East Kimberley College is seeking an organised and dedicated Laboratory Technician to join their friendly team. The successful applicant will ideally have a passionate knowledge about science.
About the Role
The successful applicant should ideally possess good communication skills and have the ability to work independently and as part of a team. Duties will include ordering supplies, equipment, managing stock levels and performing basic repairs and maintenance on the science equipment. Experience labelling and storing of laboratory chemicals, equipment and resources as well knowledge of the appropriate methods for disposal of chemical, physical and biological laboratory materials will be highly regarded.
The successful applicant will provide support and advice to the Head of Learning Area and teaching staff to ensure that curriculum requirements are met, routine chemical and equipment preparation and construction of simple apparatus for science classes.
You will also be responsible for preparing chemicals, equipment and materials, design and construct teaching aids and collect and care for living organisms for study purposes in compliance with chemical, physical and biological laboratory practices and legislative requirements. They will organise preparation areas and classroom laboratories and undertake general housekeeping of chemicals, equipment and other resources.
About the School
East Kimberley College is one of the largest Kindergarten to Year 12 schools in the State with approximately 850 students enrolled. With almost 48% of enrolments being indigenous, it also has the largest enrolment of Aboriginal students at any school in the State. The College offers all that one would expect in a larger metropolitan school yet has that unique friendly atmosphere typical of a rural community.
Our College strives to ensure all students, regardless of ability or style of learning, are provided with the opportunity to reach their full potential in a positive, supportive and engaging learning environment. We foster individual student interests, encourage active participation in the learning process, and assist students to develop their ability to apply knowledge and skills to real life experiences and challenges.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Experience working within a science laboratory, including knowledge of laboratory techniques and relevant safety and legislative requirements.
- Knowledge of science subjects relevant to the curriculum taught in secondary schools and the ability to design and construct experiments and equipment to support curriculum requirements.
- Good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Organisational and time management skills and ability to work independently.
- Well developed keyboarding and computer skills including a working knowledge of databases, spreadsheets and word processing.
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about East Kimberley College can be found by visiting www.eastkimberleycollege.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Lisa Oliver, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Kununurra, by telephoning (08) 9168 4400 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A three (3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
ELIGIBILITY AND TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- Hold a Certificate lll in Laboratory Skills or equivalent qualification or experience
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Wednesday, 22 March 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.