Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SA809947
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 2, 2023
Applecross Senior High School (SHS) is seeking a Head of Learning Area (HoLA) with the skills, knowledge, and drive to continue to develop and maintain an outstanding Health and Physical Education (HPE) Learning Area.
The successful applicant will ideally have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain the enthusiasm and commitment of the teachers in their charge. They will be expected to maximise the effectiveness and efficiency of the learning area by continuing to develop a calm, productive atmosphere and a culture of cooperation and disciplined collaboration. Robust professional discussion and dialogue will be fostered and encouraged in a respectful way.
The successful applicant should role model exemplary practice as a teacher and as a leader and support their teachers in all aspects of their work including behaviour management, assessment, parent contact and management and strategic planning. The ability to teach Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) Physical Education Studies is also highly desirable.
The successful applicant should possess the skills to translate the priorities of the school’s Business Plan and our Strategic Directions into a learning area operational plan that provides clear direction for their staff.
The successful applicant will support staff in their development both individually and as a team, also holding them accountable for day to day work, and for the implementation of the plan and achievement of the learning area’s goals. The successful applicant should be able to manage their resilience and have the skills to conduct clear conversations when necessary.
Another important aspect of the position will be the ability to understand the wider school context and constructively work with other HoLAs and the administration team to achieve broader school objectives.
The successful applicant should have a growth mindset and be committed to the school’s Instructional Model and will lead the learning area’s participation in our Instructional Coaching program. The successful applicant will ideally have a deep knowledge of the Year 7 to 12 curriculum including compliance, assessment, and reporting practices.
The HoLA should have a high level of data gathering and analysis skills to monitor the individual and collective progress of students in each class in the Learning Area, and to evaluate the effectiveness of teaching practice and team performance.
Familiarity with Saron Education Quality Teachers Assistant (SEQTA) or similar as a learning management system will be an advantage.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Capacity to provide effective leadership in a diverse range of educational settings.
- High level of interpersonal and public relations skills that demonstrate the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships to achieve planned outcomes.
- Professional knowledge and the ability to apply this knowledge to ensure a high level of educational outcomes for all students (e.g. Aboriginal students, students from diverse ethnic backgrounds and students with special needs).
- Capacity to manage staff, physical and financial resources.
Applications will be assessed against the work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Applecross Senior High School can be found by visiting applecross.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
For further job related information:
Please contact Toni Jones, Associate Principal, by telephoning (08) 9314 9393 or emailing toni.jones@education,wa.edu.au
During the school holiday period, please contact Toni Jones on 0428 921 908.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A five (5) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the branch
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
ELIGIBILITY AND TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
Employees will be required to:
- hold a recognised qualification in teaching and be currently registered or eligible for registration to teach in Western Australia.
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment.
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course.
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement.
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy.
- complete the Department’s training in Accountability and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Thursday, 20 April 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.