Advertised Vacancy Number: DOE810971
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 2, 2023
Working for the Department of Education attracts a range of attractive professional and personal benefits including:
- 10 percent employer contributions to superannuation
- More than 20 days of other leave, including sick leave and carers’ leave
The Role and our Branch
Northam Residential College is seeking a Boarding Supervisor – Female to join their team.
We encourage all applicants with diverse professional experiences to apply.
This job opportunity is unique if you are a caring, dedicated and enthusiastic person who has a genuine desire to assist young people complete their education while living away from home and family.
For these positions, the person's gender is a genuine occupational qualification (Equal Opportunity Act 1984). Only applicants possessing the required qualification will be considered for appointments in these circumstances.
Northam Residential College is an established boarding facility providing accommodation for secondary students from Years 7 to 12 who wish to study in Northam. Situated in the heart of Avon Valley, 95 km east of Perth, the College caters to students attending both Northam Senior High School and St Joseph’s School. Northam provides a full range of health services, shopping, social, sporting and recreational opportunities. This along with our country values and progressive outlook contributes to the best boarding and schooling option available to country families.
We have up to 50 students living at the College. Most students come from farming areas in the Wheatbelt, but also from further afield. They love living in the country and enjoy the amenities of a large regional town. Many students board from Year 7 and develop life-long friendships. As a boarder, they get to share this amazing experience with people of their own age. They also learn to be independent, work well with others and create support networks.
The college manager, Russell Winsor, leads a highly skilled and passionate team of supervisors and ancillary staff. Together, this team ensures that your child receives the best quality care and support within a fun and rewarding environment.
The college supervisory staff are supported by an administration and finance officer and a team of ancillary staff assist with cleaning, cooking, laundry, maintenance and facilities
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Your written application will be assessed against the following Selection Criteria
- Demonstrated skills and understandings appropriate to the supervision and care of students in a residential setting.
- Demonstrated capacity to initiate, plan, document and safely lead a wide range of leisure activities for secondary students.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills, written and oral communication skills, with the ability to write plans, pastoral notes and reports; and interact positively with students and parents including those with diverse multicultural backgrounds.
- Demonstrated organisational skills and ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a team.
- Demonstrated capacity to successfully meet and maintain the required eligibility and training requirements of this position.
For a full outline of the role responsibilities and selection criteria, please refer to the JDF.
It is recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
All inquiries are welcomed
Please contact Russell Winsor, College Manager by telephoning (08) 9621 6377 or emailing Russell.Winsor@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow all instructions. It is recommended you have relevant documents completed and ready to attach with your online application. Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications must be received prior to the closing date and time.
Your application should include:
- A two (2) page statement addressing the selection criteria listed above, in context of the role and business needs of the branch
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please phone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please phone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and Training Requirements
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold (and maintain) a current Working with Children Check
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision Making within six months of commencement of employment
- work according to rostered hours which may include nights, weekends and public holidays
- obtain (prior to first rostered shift working with students) and maintain a current:
- First Aid Certificate – Provide CPR (HLTAID009); and
- First Aid Certificate – Provide First Aid (HLTAID011);
- within six months of commencement of employment obtain and maintain a current:
- LR Class Driver’s Licence and a Passenger Transport Driver (PTD) authorisation;
- Aquatic Rescue for Group lll Pool Award*; and
- Surf Rescue Certificate*;
- obtain a Certificate IV in Community Services – Student Residential Care (CHC42015) within six months of commencement of employment.
* Dependent on operational requirements as determined by College Manager.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Wednesday, 29 March 2023
Lodgement is system generated. Any submissions at, or after, 4:30pm will not be accepted.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our division for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.