Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS797972
Atwell College is seeking to establish a pool of Education Assistant - Special Needs for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2023 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2023 school year.
As an Education Assistant - Special Needs you will, under teacher direction, assist in the implementation of specialised education programs. Suitable applicants will assist teachers in the delivery of specific Individual Education Programs, including the operation of computers and digital technologies. It will be highly regarded if you are engaged in or have obtained a Certificate IV in Education Support.
Education Assistant – Special Needs, when required, will provide feedback on education and therapy programs and participate in the evaluation process relating to the achievement of goals in special education. Suitable applicants should have good interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to collaborate well with the teacher to create and maintain a supportive, inclusive education program to meet the specific needs of the students. An understanding and regular use of safe work practices will be highly regarded. You should be organised and able to use your initiative to assist the teacher with the general care and wellbeing of students and maintenance of the learning environment.
As an Independent Public School, Atwell College is a vibrant community where lasting and collaborative partnerships are being developed. With enthusiastic and resilient staff who are focused on the students, parents and teachers; who work collaboratively and are well supported by the school's leadership team, the Parents' and Citizens' Association and the School Board.
Every individual has a shared voice in the life of the school. The college campus is contemporary and offers modern facilities for its staff and students.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Atwell College can be found by visiting atwellcollege.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job related information:
Please contact Brent Passchier, Deputy Principal, by telephoning 0417 721 278 or emailing Brent.Passchier@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment;
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check;
- Complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 31 March 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.