Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS811127
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 2, 2023
Willetton Senior High School (SHS) is seeking a passionate leader to join their team as the Special Needs Education Assistant (SNEA) – Lead.
The role of the SNEA – Lead is to lead, mentor, coach and model good practices for other Education Assistants. The successful applicant will ideally have highly developed organisational skills to work with the Program Coordinator of Learning and Curriculum Support to oversee and manage staff rosters, relief, and the ongoing professional learning of Education Assistants. In consultation with teachers, parents/caregivers and School Psychologists, or other relevant professionals, you will contribute to the design and implementation of Documented Plans. The SNEA - Lead will be responsible for planning and delivering the worksite induction and training of other Education Assistants and will lead your team to promote positive student behaviour and an inclusive learning environment.
Ideally, the successful applicant will bring a solutions-focused and student-centred approach to all tasks, enabling the delivery of high-quality learning programs and improved educational outcomes in the classroom. It is highly desirable for the successful applicant to have experience in working with and responding to the needs of students with a range of learning needs including Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and severe mental health. We are seeking an individual who inspires passion for learning in others and enjoys a real sense of achievement in their role.
On entering Willetton SHS, you will immediately observe the positive engagement between students and staff. The warm and respectful relationships which exist reflect the partnership between all members of the Willetton learning community and the productive contribution of the School Board and parents alike. We share the common goal of inspiring our students to achieve to the maximum of their academic, social and physical potential.
Willetton SHS is one of the largest schools in Western Australia, drawing its student enrolment from diverse geographic, cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds. With a student population in excess of 2600 and approximately 220 teaching staff and 120 support staff on campus the school is inclusive and comprehensive providing courses for Years 7 to 12. It is the school of choice for many local and international families.
The school is committed to the intellectual, creative and social development of our students by the provision of stimulating and relevant programs and orderly teaching and classroom practices. Pastoral care and academic achievement are very strong. Community support and parental involvement are cornerstones of our culture.
As one of the leading and top Australian Tertiary Admission Rank (ATAR) recognised schools in Western Australia, the school regularly attains outstanding Western Australian Certificate of Education (WACE) achievement results. Complementing these achievements, the school has a high emphasis on the quality and delivery of General and Vocational Education and Training (VET) based courses to help supply a holistic education setting.
The school offers a number of specialist programs to meet student needs and interests. These programs include Gifted and Talented, a Business Internship with Murdoch University and Specialist Basketball. There are numerous after school sporting teams, debating and poetry clubs and we are a Lead Language School. Willetton SHS prides itself on an ethos that all students will be successful.
Willetton SHS has a strong, positive culture and as a Education Assistant - Lead you will have a key role in ensuring our school values of Care, Respect and Excellence are reflected and underpin all actions.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Considerable knowledge and understanding of the delivery of education programs and/or behaviour management plans; and ability to identify problems and assist teachers and other Education Assistants in the development of strategies and solutions.
- Well developed oral communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to lead, mentor, coach, induct and train other Education Assistants and professional teams, including providing advice and evaluating education programs.
- Well developed written communication skills, including report writing, and the ability to coordinate, collect and present student data at a whole school community level in a meaningful way.
- Well developed organisational skills, including the ability to coordinate staff rosters and relief to assist in the delivery of effective education programs.
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Willetton Senior High School can be found by visiting willettonshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information:
Please contact Zoe Colkers-Thring, Panel Chair, by telephoning (08) 9334 7287 or emailing email@example.com.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
ELIGIBILITY AND TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- complete the Department’s induction program within 3 months of commencement
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within 6 months of appointment
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course; and
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Wednesday, 29 March 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.