Advertised Vacancy Number IPS/SS808635
Piara Waters Senior High School (SHS) is seeking to establish a pool of Special Needs Education Assistants for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2023 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements prior to the end of Term 4, 2023.
As an Education Assistant - Special Needs, you will assist the teacher in delivering planned education programs and encouraging a supportive and inclusive learning environment. This includes the operation of computers and digital technologies, and implementation of individual student or small group programs or demonstrations.
You will also provide feedback when required on education and therapy programs and participate in the evaluation process relating to student progress. The ability to assist with the general health and wellbeing of students is desirable.
Applicants should be flexible and experienced in supporting needs of students with self-regulation of behaviour and social and emotional responses. Experience in using a variety of strategies to develop communication and socialisation skills is desirable. Suitable applicants will ideally have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to collaborate well with the teacher to create and maintain a supportive education program to meet the specific needs of the students within an inclusive education environment.
Piara Waters SHS is situated in the beautifully landscaped suburb of Piara Waters, approximately 25kms south of Perth, and will form part of the vibrant, multicultural community. The school will commence with Year 7 students in 2023, adding each year to its growing cohort, until it reaches Year 12 in 2028.
With innovative approaches to learning and teaching, the specialist staff will provide students with individual support with a strong focus on wellbeing and education of the 'whole child'. As an inclusive place of learning, the staff are dedicated to ensuring that every young person in their care will exceed expectations and achieve at their highest level.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work-related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work-relatedrequirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Piara Waters Senior High School can be found by visiting Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job-related information:
Please contact Carol Daniels, Principal, by telephoning (08) 6174 2750 or emailing Carol.Daniels@education.wa.edu.au.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A five (5) page statement addressing the Work-Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- complete the Department’s induction program within 3 months of commencement
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within 6 months of appointment
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 24 March 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.