Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS808763
This is a permanent part-time (0.6FTE) position commencing Term 2, 2023
Baldivis Secondary College (SC) is seeking an enthusiastic and dedicated Special Needs Education Assistant for students with a diverse range of disabilities to join our school.
The successful applicant will support a wide range of students from year seven to year twelve and should be willing to work across all subject areas. Good communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills are important attributes for this position.
The successful applicant will support teachers to implement evidence-based practice and pedagogy to meet the needs of students with a wide range of disabilities in a mainstream classroom. In collaboration with teachers, Education Assistants will implement highly personalised learning plans to facilitate access to the curriculum. Under limited direction, Education Assistants will apply evidence-based individualised programs that improve academic engagement, organisational skills, social thinking, peer relationships and self-regulation skills.
Our primary focus is to develop a safe, supportive learning environment where students can maximise their opportunities to meet their educational goals and reach their individual potential. On occasions, you may be asked to support students off-site and supervise in situations without the presence of a teacher.
Baldivis SC is a proud Independent Public School founded on the basic principle of respect; whereby respect underpins each and every initiative and interaction within our community. As the first public secondary school established in the area, Baldivis Secondary College, is committed to maintaining its presence as a community hub and a highly regarded educational facility for the students of Baldivis. The College is committed to providing a caring and supportive environment that challenges its members to achieve personal excellence in all they do.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
For further information about Baldivis Secondary College please visit baldivissc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information:
Please contact Amy Stewart, Learning Support Manager, by telephoning (08) 9523 3600 or emailing Amy.Stewart@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two (2) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to two (2) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- complete the Department’s induction program within 3 months of commencement
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within 6 months of appointment
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultural awareness online course within 3 months of commencement
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Wednesday, 29 March 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.