Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS801316
This is a permanent part-time (0.6FTE) position commencing Term 1, 2023
Safety Bay Senior High School (SHS) is seeking a dedicated and enthusiastic Assistant Gardener – Handyperson to join their team.
The Assistant Gardener - Handyperson will provide gardening, grounds and facility management support to ensure a safe and clean school environment. They will maintain and present the school grounds and gardens in an attractive, clean and tidy condition, and provide a suitable growing environment for both soft and hard landscaping, including turf management. The successful applicant will perform minor repairs and maintenance as requested, as well as other Assistant Gardener - Handyperson duties in accordance with the Department’s policies and guidelines.
The successful applicant will ideally possess good interpersonal skills, along with the ability to receive and carry out instructions as required. You will perform tasks and duties using safe work practices and maintain accurate gardening records. The successful applicant should also have effective communication skills to help develop and maintain good working relationships with school staff and external stakeholders.
Situated on the coast 50 kilometres south of Perth, Safety Bay SHS is an Independent Public Secondary School catering for approximately 1130 students in Years 7 to 12. We challenge our students to develop the capacity to be lifelong learners where every member of the school community is dared to 'Imagine with all our minds, Believe with all our heart and Achieve with all our might'.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work-related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good communication skills
- Ability to operate and maintain equipment and apply safe working practices.
- Ability to assist in maintaining both soft and hard landscaped areas.
- Ability in the practical application and safe use of hand tools.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
Please visit safetybay.wa.edu.au or Schools Online for more information about Safety Bay Senior High School.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For job related information
Please contact Sue Cummings, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9528 9200 or emailing Sue.Cummings@education.wa.edu.au
During the school holiday period, please contact Sue Cummings, on 0473 527 049 to discuss your queries further.
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager.
- A completed application form. The application form can be found in the attachments at the bottom of this advertisement. Please only complete the application form if you are not submitting your application online.
To submit your application:
Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your CV and any other supporting documents, or
To submit your application:
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment team on (08) 9264 4127 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
And complete the Department’s:
- Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course
- induction program within three months of commencement
- introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas
- training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 10 February 2023.
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BEFORE THE CLOSING DATE AND TIME.
APPLICATIONS THAT DO NOT COMPLY WITH THE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS LISTED AND LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.