Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS799521
This is a twelve (12) month fixed term, full-time position commencing Term 1, 2023
Albany Senior High School (SHS) is seeking a dedicated Senior Gardener – Handyperson to join their friendly team.
In this role you will be responsible for maintaining and presenting our school grounds in a clean and tidy condition. To be successful in this role, you should ideally be confident in performing minor repairs and perform all duties using safe work practices. We are looking for someone who is self-motivated and can use initiative and work efficiently when unsupervised. Applicants with strong gardening and handyperson skills, to ensure our buildings and grounds are maintained at their current high standard, are strongly encouraged to apply.
The successful applicant will ideally have good interpersonal and communication skills to maintain accurate gardening records and manage staff performance. You should have strong leadership skills to supervise tasks performed by the Assistant Gardeners and provide advice and support to the Manager Corporate Services on school grounds maintenance. In this role, you will ideally have a passion for the outdoors and an ability to lead staff as you work with team members to create and maintain a clean, tidy, safe, and enjoyable outdoor environment for staff, students, and the community. It is highly desirable for the successful applicant to be familiar with Department of Education Gardener guidelines.
Albany SHS has a long and proud tradition of high academic achievement, sporting excellence and a comprehensive cultural life in the school. The school forms an integral part of the fabric of Albany, and together we celebrate our students’ many achievements. The community highly values the school’s contribution to the many young people in its care. Our students are happy, friendly, and hardworking and are prepared to be involved in a range of academic, cultural, and sporting pursuits. In 2022 Albany SHS became one of a group of Public Schools who deliver a Gifted and Talented program adding to the breadth of programs catering for student’s individual learning needs.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, including turf management.
- Experience in servicing horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks.
- Knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
- Experience in coordinating and supervising staff.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
For further information about Albany Senior High School please visit www.albanyshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
For further job-related information
You are encouraged to contact Jo Stephen, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Albany, by telephoning 0459 423 663 or emailing email@example.com.
During the school holiday period, please contact Jo Stephen on 0459 423 663 or firstname.lastname@example.org and you will be contacted to discuss your queries further.
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current Line Manager; and
- A three (3) page cover letter addressing the Work-Related Requirements, detailing your experience in the context of the role and business needs of the school.
To submit your application:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your CV and any other supporting documents.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment team on (08) 9264 4127 for assistance.
Eligibility and Training Requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
And complete the Department’s:
- Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course;
- Induction program within three months of commencement;
- Introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas;
- Training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 27 January 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.