Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS798177
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 2, 2023
Insert an inviting comment
Hedland Senior High School (SHS) is seeking a hardworking Gardener – Handyperson to join their team.
Working for the Department of Education can attract the following benefits:
- Travel Concession
- Air-conditioning subsidy
- District Allowance plus other miscellaneous allowances where applicable
For additional information please see relevant Agreement
About the Role
As a Gardener - Handyperson, you will be responsible for maintaining and presenting our school grounds in an attractive, clean and tidy manner. The successful applicant will be tasked with gardening duties, grounds and facility management and various other duties as outlined in the Job Description Form below to ensure a safe, vibrant and clean school environment.
The Gardener - Handyperson will work as part of a team providing gardening, grounds and facility management to ensure a safe and clean school environment. You will also be responsible for maintaining and providing a suitable growing environment for both soft and hard landscaping, including turf management. The successful applicant will perform minor repairs and maintenance as requested, as well as other Gardener - Handyperson’s duties using safe work practices and in accordance with the Department's policies and guidelines.
To be successful in this role you should possess knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals. Experience in servicing gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks is desirable.
About the school
Hedland SHS located in the Pilbara, is an Independent Public School catering for students from Years 7 to 12. Our school prides itself on the staff's commitment to a system of positive behaviour supports which focus on care, courtesy, respect and responsibility. These values underpin our philosophy at Hedland Senior High School. All staff strive to maintain a school culture which encourages a high standard of behaviour & performance.
The school has worked hard to build a positive reputation for the excellent educational opportunities it offers students, the exceptional support for staff development and professional growth and for its high standards of achievement. Staff and students are encouraged to achieve personal excellence in all aspects of their daily activities and to interact with each other and with the wider community in a positive, constructive and socially responsible manner.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
Further information about Hedland Senior High School can be found by visiting hedlandshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Karen Ballantyne, Manager Corporate Services for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in South Hedland, by telephoning (08) 9158 1900 or emailing Karen.Ballantyne@education.wa.edu.au
During the school holiday period, please contact Karen Ballantyne on 0467 818 469or Karen.Ballantyne@education.wa.edu.au and you will be contacted to discuss your queries further.
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager and;
- A cover letter of no more than two (2) page Please address selection criteria (3 and 4) by providing an example that shows your ability, knowledge and application in relation to each work related requirement.
You will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Sound communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, including turf management.
- Experience in minor servicing of horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks.
- Knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
To submit your application:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your CV and any other supporting documents.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment team on (08) 9264 4127 for assistance.
Eligibility and Training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
And complete the Department’s:
- Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course
- Induction program within three months of commencement
- Introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas
- Training specific to this role required by Departmental policy and;
- Training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4:30pm (WST) on Monday, 13 February 2023
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.