Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS770413
This is a permanent part-time (0.75FTE) position commencing Term 1, 2023
Do you have the elements required to formulate active learning?
Katanning Senior High School (SHS) is seeking an enthusiastic and dedicated Laboratory Technician to join their school.
As Laboratory Technician you will, under supervision, provide support to teaching staff in the area of routine chemical and equipment preparation, and construction of simple apparatus for science classes whilst ordering supplies, equipment and managing stock levels. The successful applicant will perform basic repairs and maintenance on the equipment whilst constructing teaching aids as required. Additionally, you will be responsible for the labelling, maintaining and safe storing of laboratory chemicals, equipment and resources and the disposal of chemical, physical, and biological laboratory materials.
The successful applicant should have initiative, good interpersonal skills, verbal and written communication skills, as well as exceptional organisational skills. The successful applicant will ideally be motivated, and possess the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively as part of a team.
Katanning SHS is a unique and distinctive secondary school located in the heart of the Great Southern region of WA. At our school, students have the opportunity to engage in a challenging and comprehensive educational program within a caring and nurturing school. Students’ individual academic and social needs will be met within a school that values respect, achievement, perseverance and tolerance.
Katanning SHS’s community is culturally diverse. We celebrate and respect individual difference and work in harmony to ensure success for all students. Additional support for students with a non-English speaking background are in place to ensure they can develop their English language skills and successfully engage in our learning programs.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Experience working within a science laboratory, including knowledge of laboratory techniques and relevant safety and legislative requirements.
- Knowledge of science subjects relevant to the curriculum taught in secondary schools and the ability to design and construct experiments and equipment to support curriculum requirements.
- Good written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Organisational and time management skills and ability to work independently.
- Well developed keyboarding and computer skills including a working knowledge of databases, spreadsheets and word processing.
Applications will be assessed against these work related (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Katanning Senior High School can be found by visiting www.katanningshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information
You are encouraged to contact Kara Flugge, Manager Corporate Services, for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Katanning, by telephoning (08) 9891 1100 or emailing Kara.Flugge@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Eligibility and training requirements
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course; and
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
- Hold a Certificate lll in Laboratory Skills or equivalent qualification or experience
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 2 December 2022.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.