Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS786109
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 1, 2022
Merredin College is seeking to appoint a dedicated and highly motivated Aboriginal and Islander Education Officer (AIEO) to join our friendly and supportive team.
As an AIEO, you will provide support and effective assistance to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students, their parents/guardians, teachers, the school, and the community through the knowledge, understanding and sharing of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander history, language, and culture.
The successful applicant will be required to act as a liaison between the community and the school to develop an education program that is relevant to both educational and cultural needs. AIEOs assist and support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students, particularly those at risk, through mentoring and pastoral care to ensure their participation and achievement in the school environment.
Located 256 kilometres east of Perth in the Central Wheatbelt, Merredin College is a lighthouse rural school providing a high-quality educational program for 515 students from K-12. We are unique because our students can remain in the safety of the community in which they were born and at the same school for their entire education. Our staff and our families are true partners in the entire schooling process. We have been an Independent Public School since 2017.
Our vision states 'Merredin College is the benchmark in rural educational excellence. We aspire to develop a community of engaged, creative and independent lifelong learners who aim high, value diversity and contribute positively to the global community.'
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to effectively interact with students, teachers, parents, community members and professional staff on the provision and development of educational programs.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact on a range of levels in a variety of settings and with different audiences, including community members, teaching and other professionals.
- Ability to contribute to a school-level team and to provide multi-cultural direction in the development of the educational program, development of language resources, and evaluation of education and behaviour management programs.
- Ability to effectively assist teachers in implementing educational and behaviour management programs.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery of effective education programs to students.
- Ability to assist with the general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Merredin College can be found by visiting www.merredincollege.wa.edu.au or Schools Online
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here.
You are encouraged to contact Janelle Lane, Manager Corporate Services for further information about this employment opportunity, including information about living and working in Merredin, by telephoning 9041 7520 or emailing Janelle.Lane@education.wa.edu.au
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two (2) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to four (4) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Pursuant of Section 50(d) of the Equal Opportunity Act 1984, the occupant of this position must be of Aboriginal descent.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course.
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator- to student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 9 December 2022
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.