Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS786377
This is a permanent part-time 0.5 FTE position commencing Term 1, 2023
In this role you will be responsible for the maintenance of our school grounds and will perform minor repairs and maintenance in accordance with the Department’s policies and guidelines. Suitable applicants will be responsible for ensuring that tools and all horticultural equipment are maintained in a serviceable condition, formal and informal sports areas are marked, as required, and maintained. In addition to the above, as the Senior Gardener-Handyperson you will be required to maintain accurate gardening records and to provide advice and support to the Manager Corporate Services on school ground maintenance.
Yanchep Secondary College (SC) is committed to providing young people with a high quality, comprehensive education that allows our students and teachers to reach their potential. We have programs for students from Year 7 to 12 with many pathways for students to succeed, including university, further training, or employment. Our college has well maintained grounds including landscaped garden beds and additional buildings planned for the future as our college continues to grow.
We are seeking someone with good interpersonal and communication skills who can work as part of a team as well as independently. The successful applicant should have a working knowledge of Work Health and Safety requirements including, the understanding of Safety Data Sheets. Working in a Senior High School context, the successful applicant must maintain a safe working environment for themselves, staff and students.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in maintaining grounds and gardens, including turf management.
- Experience in servicing horticultural/gardening equipment and performing minor repairs and maintenance tasks.
- Knowledge of gardening methods and procedures, including the safe use and storage of gardening equipment, materials and chemicals.
- Experience in coordinating and supervising staff.
Further information about this position can be found in the attached job description form (JDF).
Please visit yanchepsc.wa.edu.au or Schools Online for more information about Yanchep Secondary College
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For job related information
Please contact Carolyn Butler, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9562 8000 or emailing Carolyn.Butler2@education.wa.edu.au
Our aim is to make it easy for you to apply!
Your application should include:
- A detailed CV outlining your work history and experience in the context of the role. Your CV should include two (2) work related referees, one being your current Line Manager and a personal reference.
- A two (2) page cover letter addressing the Work Related Requirements, in the context of the role and business needs of the school
To submit your application:
- Click on the “Apply for Job” button located at either the top or bottom of this screen. You can then complete the online application form and attach your CV and any other supporting documents.
Please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
If you are having trouble submitting your online application, please contact the Recruitment team on (08) 9264 4127 for assistance.
ELIGIBILITY AND TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
Employees will be required to:
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check
And complete the Department’s:
- Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course
- induction program within three months of commencement
- introductory School Gardener training within 3 months of commencement in metropolitan areas or as soon as practicable for regional areas
- training specific to this role required by Departmental policy
- training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4:30pm (WST) on Monday, 05 December 2022.
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED BEFORE THE CLOSING DATE AND TIME.
APPLICATIONS THAT DO NOT COMPLY WITH THE APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS LISTED AND LATE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.