Advertised Vacancy Number SS/SS773476
We are seeking to establish a pool for appointments to permanent and fixed term, full-time and part-time vacancies which may arise during the 2023 school year. Appointments can be made from the pool at any time for commencements within the 2023 school year.
Eddystone Primary School (EPS) is seeking an experienced, motivated and enthusiastic Special Needs Education Assistant to join their friendly team.
Suitable applicants will assist in the implementation of specialised education programs whilst working with students with disabilities and additional learning needs. They will assist teachers in the delivery of planned education programs, including the operation of computers and digital technologies and implement individual student or small group programs or demonstrations. They will, when required, provide feedback on education and therapy programs and participate in the evaluation process and the development of documented plans relating to the achievement of goals in special education.
Suitable applicants will ideally have excellent communication skills and work collaboratively or independently as required, to improve outcomes for our students. They will perform tasks that require discretion and judgement in achieving clearly defined outcomes determined by the teacher. Suitable applicants should be able to apply techniques, skills and knowledge of relevant practices acquired through previous experience, or on the job learning and have the relevant qualifications. Experience with and understanding of Zones of Regulation, MultiLit and DI Spelling are highly desirable.
Suitable applicants will work in an environment characterised by whole school approaches; a strong commitment to professional learning, working in teams, and accepting leadership roles and responsibilities. Suitable applicants should be committed to putting students first and assisting teachers to implement instructional skills and strategies that maximise students’ engagement in their learning. They will work in teams to support the learning of students and to develop relations with students and their parents.
We host a highly accredited Intensive English Centre. Students from over 40 nationalities make up an enriched learning community that celebrates our diversity as a school community. Suitable applicants will ideally have experience working with EAL/D students with a range of disabilities and learning difficulties.
Eddystone PS is located in the suburb of Heathridge, approximately 27km north of the Perth City. Our motto is 'ACHIEVING TOGETHER' every child is challenged to reach their full potential as a life-long learner. Our supportive, dedicated and experienced staff work collaboratively to enhance every student's physical, social, academic and emotional development.
The Eddystone Primary School learning community works collaboratively to ensure a strong culture of learning. Parents are valuable partners, as is evidenced by their voluntary support in learning and sporting programs, involvement in decision making processes and fundraising and continuing interest in their children's development. We also enjoy wider community support from local businesses and organisations.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements (selection criteria):
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents, and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students.
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements (selection criteria) of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Eddystone Primary School can be found by visiting eddystoneps.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
For further job related information:
Please contact Chris Walker, Principal, by telephoning (08) 9406 5100 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
During the school holiday period, please contact Chris Walker on 0468 964 007.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A two to three (2-3) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements (selection criteria), in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
ELIGIBILITY AND TRAINING REQUIREMENTS
Employees will be required to:
- obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment.
- obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
- complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course.
- provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy.
- complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement.
- complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy.
- complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
Education Assistants working with Kindergarten students may be required to have, or be actively working towards, a Certificate lll in Education Support (or approved equivalent) in order to meet the educator-to-student ratio outlined in the National Quality Standard for Early Childhood Education and Care.
Approved equivalent qualifications are published by the Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 7 October 2022
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED.