Advertised Vacancy Number: IPS/SS772314
This is a permanent full-time position commencing Term 4, 2022.
Kelmscott Senior High School (SHS) is looking for an enthusiastic Special Needs Education Assistant to join their friendly team.
The successful applicant will ideally have the knowledge of effective strategies to support students, combined with the ability to be highly organised and use their initiative. You will be responsible for assisting in the delivery of planned education programs for students. This includes managing small groups of students under the direction of the teacher to assist students to reach their full potential through the development of their academic, physical and social skills.
Kelmscott SHS is a school of opportunity for students. Our school strives to create thinkers and effective problem solvers with the team skills to work in the real and virtual worlds. The school’s vision is about creating the citizens of tomorrow. Our Respect, Resilience and Responsibility Charter outlines the expectations we have of and within our school.
As a highly valued member of our school, you should value the importance of establishing and developing positive relationships with parents, students and staff. You will ideally possess an openness to change, be solution focused; always ensuring you are providing the best opportunities for our students.
The successful applicant will, under teacher direction, assist the teacher in the delivery of planned education programs, implement individual or small group programs or demonstrations and be able to provide valuable feedback to support student learning. They will be able to support programs relevant to students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), Intellectual Disability (ID), Physical Disability (PD), mental health and behavioural needs.
This selection process will initially be used to fill the above vacancy. Applicants assessed as suitable during this selection process may be considered for other similar vacancies that occur throughout our school for up to 12 months following this initial appointment. This includes circumstances where this position becomes subsequently vacant should the successful applicant decline or vacate the advertised position.
To be suitable for this role, you will need to demonstrate the following work related requirements:
- Good written and oral communication skills, including the ability to interact with students with special needs, parents and teaching professionals on the provision of educational programs, and to assist teachers in understanding students where necessary.
- Good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as part of a team in the evaluation of educational programs, including special education and therapy programs where these have been implemented.
- Good organisational skills that will assist in the delivery and development of effective education programs to students and subsequent feedback to teaching professionals or psychologists.
- Ability to assist teachers or therapists in implementing educational programs, including special education and, should this be a requirement of the position, occupational and/or physiotherapy programs.
- Knowledge of health and physical disabilities in students and adolescents.
- Ability to assist with general health and well-being of students
Applications will be assessed against these work related requirements of the position. The business needs of the school may also be considered. It is therefore recommended that you consider all information contained in the advertisement and any other related information before applying for the vacancy.
The Department is an equal opportunity employer and encourages people with disability, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and persons from culturally diverse backgrounds to apply.
Further information about Kelmscott Senior High School can be found by visiting www.kshs.wa.edu.au or Schools Online.
Additional information about Independent Public Schools is also available here
For further job related information:
Please contact Lexie Johansen, Manager Corporate Services, by telephoning (08) 9495 7400 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
During the school holiday period, please contact Lexie Johansen on 0405378487.
All applications are submitted online. Select “Apply for Job”, at either the top or bottom of this screen and follow the instructions on your screen.
Your application should include:
- A four (4) page statement addressing the Work Related Requirements, in context of the role and business needs of the school
- A CV of up to three (3) pages outlining your employment history and professional learning summary relevant to this position
- The contact details for two (2) work related referees who can attest to the claims made in your written application, preferably one being your current line manager.
It is recommended you have these documents completed and ready to attach before selecting “Apply for Job”.
You are asked to complete an online application form and attach your documentation, please allow enough time to complete this process as applications cannot be accepted after the closing date and time.
After you have submitted your application online, you will receive an email confirming lodgement. If you do not receive a confirmation email, please telephone (08) 9264 4127.
If you are having difficulty submitting your online application, please telephone (08) 9264 8666 for assistance.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s Aboriginal Cultural Appreciation course;
- Provide evidence of eligibility to work in Australia for the term of the vacancy;
- Obtain a current Department of Education Criminal Record Clearance prior to commencement of employment; and
- Obtain or hold a current Working with Children Check.
Employees will be required to:
- Complete the Department’s induction program within three months of commencement;
- Complete any training specific to this role required by Departmental policy; and
- Complete the Department’s training in Accountable and Ethical Decision-Making within six months of appointment.
The Department applies a four (4) day breach period to this selection process.
Applications must be submitted before 4.30pm (WST) on Friday, 30 September 2022
APPLICATIONS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE
PROFORMA, FAXED, HAND DELIVERED, POSTED, EMAILED AND LATE APPLICATIONS
ARE NOT ACCEPTED.